FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Very worked up right now RE: psychologist referral

Coastie1990
Community Member

Hey

I was on a MHCP in 2017.

I decided to switch to a BOMH this year so I could get extra visits (covered by Medicare).

Just found out tonight that my referral was rejected because it only covers psychologists in my local area (the Central Coast).

Very annoying but it looks like the BOMH is useless.

I am planning to just get another MHCP. But my receptionist thinks I will have the same problem?

That I must have a psychologist from my local area.

Is that a recent change?

Or is it just for the BOMH?

I didn't have this issue for my MHCP back in 2017?

3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Coastie, thanks for posting your comment, and as far as I know you can see any psychologist or psychiatrist you want.

Your doctor may refer you to someone but that doesn't mean you have to see them, the MHP can be directed towards the psych you want to see.

I maybe corrected on this.

Geoff.

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Coastie1990, I don't know what a BOMH is but I have used the MHCP and I don't believe there are location restrictions on where your psychologist is. Perhaps others can chip in on this too.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Coastie, I'm sorry I had much earlier but it hasn't appeared as yet, but no there are no restrictions as far as I believe, so your doctor can write an MHP plan for whoever you want to see.

Geoff.