FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Using sleeping tablets for insomnia

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I have used sleeping tablets in the past &was given a script by my psych for some more a while ago. I have never had any issues with drug or alcohol abuse & tend to err on the side of avoiding meds unless absolutely essential & then only for shortest possible time. I don't take any ADs as I can't tolerate the side effects. My psych suggested I take sleeping tablets when needed to prevent me spiralling out of control. Tiredness & lack of sleep lead to increased anxiety & depression & decreased ability to carry out steps to manage these. This in turn makes sleep more difficult as I can't stop worrying. Hence the vicious cycle.

Lately when I have taken sleeping tablets I've felt tired the next morning. I'm unsure if this is due to the tablets or the fact that I haven't slept properly for ages. I don't want to use then too many days in a row so they lose their effectiveness. I know I need to go to bed at a regular time, switch off technology early etc but lately nothing seems to work.

What do others find helps & how have others used sleeping tablets to break out of bad periods of lack of sleep

2 Replies 2

Moonstruck
Community Member

Dear Elizabeth. Some years ago during a very bad health scare and hospitalisation I was given some sleeping tabs to go home with - I had never heard the brand name before (but it certainly has had more media exposure over the past years, over-dramatic exposure in my opinion).

I found them to be the best I had ever come across - and my GP is happy to prescribe them for me today.

She knows I do not abuse them (by the dates on scripts) in fact I find even a quarter of a low dose works for me, I try to make them last. They have no bad side effects (with me at least) I don't feel tired next day, or wandering around like a zombie....no ill effects whatsoever.

GP explained to me they are from a different "family" of sleepers than some commonly used ones that I can't name here, and affect a different chemical part of the brain. I can't function during the day without adequate sleep. I've never taken Anti Deps - as long as i get a decent sleep I can cope with my anxiety and depression most of the time.....but without sleep at night ...I shudder to think of the consequences.

With this medication (that some GPs refuse to prescribe...God knows why) I feel refreshed when I awake - they are obviously suited to my brain structure anyway as no ill effects at all. this is my experience anyway if its worth anything....Moon S

Thanks Moon, I'm glad you found tablets that work. That tablets I was prescribed have worked in the past. Unfortunately last year I was prescribed a combination of tablets including painkillers & anti anxiety tablets after I developed severe back ache These tablets were so strong I was out of it for several days & then changed to taking them at night so I could sleep but could start to function during the day. t took over 2 months to get back to normal ie able to sit on a dining chair long enough to eat a meal & to be able to walk normally. Unfortunately I've been left with very poor sleep patterns & the sleep medication seems less effective. I am unsure if I should take the sleeping tablets for a week to see if they help by giving more time for my body to recover from lack of sleep or am I setting myself up for more problems.