FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Treatment resistant depression

indesperation
Community Member
my 30 year old son has been suffering from treatment resistant depression for about 12 years and he has steadily declined. He has tried every treatment available and been hospitalised several times. He Now also gets anxiety attacks most days. My husband and I are at our wits end, we don’t know how to help him. Watching him suffer as he has over the last couple of years is breaking our hearts. He sees his psychologist twice a week, his psychiatrist about once a month, and his GP regularly. Our son needs more help than we can give him and we need help coping. Has anyone had a similar experience? Thank you 
3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear indesperation

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post. We want you to know that this is a safe space to discuss your thoughts, feelings and experiences and receive honest responses and suggestions from fellow forum users.

We can hear just how concerned you and your husband are in wanting to know how best to support your son; as a parent this must feel heartbreaking for you.  It is however encouraging to hear that your son is continuing to engage with his GP, psychiatrist, and psychologist.  Whilst you wait for a response to your thread here, we thought you might like to refer to the following resource on treat resistant depression, treatment and support strategies.

https://www.healthline.com/health/treatment-resistant-depression#treatment

It really does help to talk so please know that we are also here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via our Webchat.  Our team who answer the phones are ready to have a supportive and non-judgmental chat whenever you need it.

We’re sure to hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards 

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello indesperation, this must be exhausting for both you and your husband and definitely for your son to not only watch this happening but also to experience it as well.

If I can suggest and something for you to think about, is that by seeing a psychologist,a psychiatrist and a doctor may be too confusing for your son, because one person may say something which another person may not be too supportive of, this then leaves your son confused as to what to do, and this may go on from week to week.

Does he prefer the psychologist or the psychiatrist and who does he feel more comfortable with.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Hi Geoff

thanks for replying to my post. At the moment our son prefers to talk to his psychologist which he is doing twice a week. He only sees his psychiatrist when he needs a prescription, he doesn’t feel he gets much support from him at all. He does get support from his GP but again really only sees him to get prescriptions. We are thinking it might be time to try a new psychiatrist. 

Thanks for your thoughts

indesperation