FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Treatment Resistant depression

smidgen
Community Member

Is there any discussion on this forum about treatment resistant depression or anyone who has experience with this condition who can give me advice?

3 Replies 3

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Smidgen,

Thanks for your post and great question!

A few years ago I was categorised as treatment resistant for my major derpessive disorder. This was after trialing several therapies and antidepressants. It took my psychiatrist a while to find the right combination of medication as well as some electroconvulsive therapy to properly treat me. It was a long process but obviously very worth while and rewarding in the end. I would advise anyone with treatment resistant depression to do your best (easier said than done) to remain patient and hopeful as well as to trust in your treating team if they have already proven effective/helpful for you. I constantly had to remind myself that the pain was temporary and would eventually transform into something meaningful. I did this through CBT and talking with my psychologist.

I found a thread here on TRD: https://forums.beyondblue.org.au/t5/treatments-health-professionals/treatment-resistant-depression/t... Although I should say, please do not get hung up on the medication classes. Everyone responds to different medication differently and what is proven as the most effective is not always going to work for everybody (as was in my case). I hope you can find some helpful support and info about treatment resistant depression here on the forums. If you ever need to talk to a counsellor don't hesitate to contact the beyond blue team here who are available 24/7 over the phone or through web chat. 

Please keep us updated and remember that no matter how long someone has experienced or how many treatments someone has tried that there are always options available. 🙂💙

Bob

smidgen
Community Member

Bob thanks for reply. If you don't mind could you tell me how bad your depression was when you had ECT. My psychiatrist says I wouldn't be given ECT because my major depressive disorder isn't bad enough.

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi smidgen,

Great question. For me personally, the depression had gotten quite severe. I was at the point where I wasn't really able to function and do basic self care. Although, depression will manifest differently for everyone. Hope that helps.

Bob