FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Taking a break from therapy

Rupes79
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I’ve been going through therapy on a fortnightly basis for around 18 months. I changed psychologists about 6 months ago as I felt the previous one lacked patience and was pushing me through too quickly. 

I like this one much more and have a lot better rapport but feeling a bit fatigued from it all and wondering if it’s wise to have a break? I’ve felt a bit drained from recent sessions and thought I might be best to call it for this year and look at resuming in 2023. 

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Rupes79,

Thanks for posting here. What a great question! Yes sometimes, I wonder if I take a break from counselling will it halt the momentum I have already built and stunt my progress. However, after consideration I don't think this is the case. Every one needs to go through therapy at their own pace, especially since it is an ongoing process, otherwise we risk diminishing its value. I think it is perfectly fine to take a break (especially if you're feeling burnt out) and I'm sure your psychologist would agree with this. Perhaps have a discussion with your psychologist and ask them if there is anything you could do for the rest of the year to keep and bolster the progress you have made? 

Keep us update and I hope this helps. 💙

Bob

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Rupes, if your counselling seems to becoming a chore then definitely take a break, because once you feel this way, then not much will come out of talking to with your psychologist.

They will also be feeling exactly the same, so take a break, but please just be mindful if you do feel the need to continue.

Geoff.

Life Member.

On The Road
Community Member

Hi Rupes79, I'm sorry that you didn't have the best experience regarding your therapy sessions previously.

But it's good to hear now you have a new psychologist who seems to be more approachable and accommodating.🙂

I would ask you to explore your thoughts, do you actually have something in your mind that you wanna avoid touching on it in your therapy sessions?  or do you reckon that taking a break would help you clear and reorganise your minds for your future sessions in 2023?  You may wanna discuss it with your psychologist. He or she would understand your situation. 

It's completely normal to feel fatigued and drained during these sessions. and I agree with Bob and Geoff that everyone needs to be at their own pace and take a break when little progress comes out of it.

Thanks all for the responses. That’s very helpful. I think burnt out is the right way to describe it and probably means I need to take sometime away from it. 
I feel progress has stalled which is probably due to me losing interest and it might be best for a reset and refocus. Sometimes talking about issues makes them worse too. 
Thanks again 

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Rupes79, it's really up to you. 

I can see how you're feeling like it's too much atm and that's okay! 

You could try spacing out the appointments to once a month? 

When I've been "in therapy" with a Psychologist who's suited to me, I need time in between the sessions to really put their advice into ACTION. 

I always seem to get to the stage where I've gotten the best out of them that I think I can (possibly worn them out lol!). So I end it. 

With my Counsellor on the other hand, I really look forward to my sessions with her! 
I've had therapy with her for around 7 years and she still gives me amazing feedback and new ways of looking at things etc etc... 
When I'm doing especially well, we space the appointments out to monthly. 
When I'm going bonkers lol, we do weekly appointments. 

This flexibility helps me so much. 

Remember the therapy is for YOU. So you get to be the co-pilot. 
Best wishes and good luck! 
EM

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Rupes79,

Thanks for your reply and update! Great to hear that you found some of the responses helpful. Also good to hear that you've formed a decision around your treatment. As I said before, it might be a good idea to let your psychologist also know that you'd like to take a break so that you can formulate a plan during the interim or if you need other forms of support. It might also be a good sign for your mental health if you are leaning towards having less sessions. But obviously I cannot say that is the case and everyone is different. 

Please keep us updated and again, good to hear you've found the replies helpful!

Bob