FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New here, just started uni, just started SSRIs, needle phobic and need a blood test

parrot15
Community Member

Hi,

I've had anxiety and depression for the last 6 years or so, but my parents were not supportive with treatment, I recently turned 18, started getting panic attacks at uni and decided to do something about it. I got my own medicare card, GP, a mental health care plan, and a prescription for SSRIs, I've been taking them for a month now and I don't feel like I'm getting any benefits, I have exams next week and I'm freaking out. On top of all that I've been getting weird and random bruising and my GP has asked me to get a blood test, I haven't been able to stay conscious for an injection for about 3 years, and I'm way behind on immunizations, my phobia is due in part to a really traumatic childhood experience with a blood test, I was planning to work through it in my sessions with the clinical psychologist I've been referred to but this seems urgent.... How do you balance physical and mental health? I've got no idea what to do. I would really appreciate any input, I've got no one to talk to at home, I really need some extra support at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Parrot

Hello and welcome to the forum. This is a good place to talk about your life in safety. We are here to help and support you as much as possible.

Congratulations on taking steps to regain your health. It's a good start. I know lots of people who are unhappy about needles both for injections and blood tests. I am so sorry you have you huge difficulty.

First your antidepressants. These often take up to six weeks for the full effect to be noticed. You should be feeling some of the effect by now but maybe these ad are not the right ones for you. Ask your GP to review them. Also talk about you exams and how you feel. The GP may be able to prescribe something to help for a few weeks until exams are over.

Having a bad experience and working through it with the psychologist a great idea. Unfortunate that you need some assistance immediately before having the chance to chat. I think you need to talk to your GP about a blood test and see if it is immediately necessary although I suspect it may be if you are getting some unexplained injuries. Also have a chat with the pathology collector and see what they can do for you. How would you feel if you were lying down safe and comfortable while someone starts the blood test. You will not fall or be injured. It may be a case of doing it to get the results and managing the process. Telling the pathologist will enable them to give you the best support.

Mary

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

parrot hi and welcome my partner had a huge dislike to needles for vacations or blood tests. To distract herself she would look the other way. and start singing very loudly. One other thing we did was a put on a night mask blindfold. So she couldn't see it coming. I hope these ideas might help you somewhat> My best wishes for your future.

Kanga

Hi again,

The blood test went fine, it took a while but I had a really great staff member helping me through it and it all went fine, my results didn't show anything out of the ordinary so I'm not sure quite what to think about that yet...

Anyway, we reviewed my medication, and my doctor doubled my dose. it's been nearly 2 weeks since then and I can't find the motivation to do anything for more than a few minutes at a time, I was working on a really easy assignment today, doing the bits that I normally enjoy allot, and I couldn't keep going after the first question, I ran into one tiny little snag that would normally make me feel more interested in what I was doing (I normally enjoy problem solving) and I just couldn't keep going. Later this evening I tried to clean my room, put a couple of things away, sat down on my floor to move some things and could not get up at all, I just sat there thinking about how useless I'm feeling and not doing anything about it. I'm not paying attention to due dates the way I used to, normally in the situation I'm in at the moment I would be feeling so anxious that I'd be sick, but I feel completely the opposite and to be honest I would rather be feeling sickeningly anxious and getting my work done right now than stuck with this constant, depressing apathy.

Is this normal for someone who is on SSRIs? I thought ads were supposed to reduce this sort of stuff? Does this mean that the one I'm on is not the right one for me? Is this just a side effect that will go away in a few weeks? Should I go back to the doctor?

Thanks for the earlier replies, thanks again in advance.