FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Natural ways to increase serotonin?

Tessera
Community Member
Has anyone had any positive effects increasing the uptake of serotonin naturally? I know tryptophan converts but is it a lack or inability to take up serotonin. What I have read seems divided in opinion of its role in depression. I would be interested to know of anyone's personal experience with this.
5 Replies 5

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi and welcome Tess;

Although your issue is relevant to this site, the information you've provided is minimal. Can I suggest you give Dr Kim a question in the 'Treatments and Health Professionals' Section?

If you search key words in our search engine above the sign-in button at the top of your screen, it may show you a thread already dedicated to this issue. Also below in the blue section you might be lucky to find relevant info.

As it's late, and looks like I may be the only person on here to answer, you may have to wait until tomorrow for anything else.

I'm using a well known SRI and have been for quite a while. Can I ask what prompted your query?

Good luck with your search...

Sara

Thanks Sara. Not doing so well with the post thing here, so I apologise for putting this in the wrong place. As I said I take a lot of medication for quite an involved medical history. Included is meds for diabetes, blood thinners, high blood pressure and in the middle of last year I started on immune suppressants and hydroxychlorquine to get my autoimmune problems under control as my vision was under threat among other things. Thankfully those problems are under good control with only a few problems so far with the immune suppressants. I really am not keen to introduce yet another drug and want to explore other avenues. I was interested in others experiences.

OK...this is going to sound a bit out-there, but how long since you had your teeth checked? I know this is a really random question, but I worked with a woman who had very similar symptoms. She went to her dentist one day and casually told him of her medical issues, and he said without hesitation, get those bad teeth out NOW!!

Her system was poisoned by her bad teeth. He operated and put her on a massive dose of antibiotics and most of her symptoms went away. (Diabetes excluded, she didn't have this)

Look, it's late and I'm probably on a sleep deprivation high, so please disregard if I'm off the mark. It just popped into my head.

I still think Dr Kim is a good way to go as well as the search function.

Sorry...I wish I could tell you more.

Sara

Thanks Sara. I will do some research. I have had some major dental work about 10 years ago for just that reason, I have quite a complicated medical history. A genetic cesspit as I call it and have coped really well since I was first diagnosed at 30. 24 years later there have been advances in the disease process. I have dealt well with them I feel and have always refused to be defined by my illness. The depression is something I have navigated for a few years now and situational circumstances are not helping currently. I just want to gleen as much info as I can before I make a decision to add yet another drug. I don't want my head ok only to have my body fail me.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tessera,

Thanks for your post.

There are a few herbal remedies that can help increase serotonin, but I'm reluctant to say them here as it can be a bit controversial and expensive. Seeing a Naturopath might be something to look into if you are not interested in Western Medicine (medication).

As for natural ways to increase serotonin;- these are the ones I know and have helped me

- Eat foods high in tryptophan; nuts, seeds, tofu,cheese, red meat, chicken, turkey, fish, oats, beans, lentils, and eggs. (Lentils, oats, beans, chicken and nuts and seeds help me).

- B Vitamins, Vitamin C and Magnesium - Although it might be best to get your levels checked so that it's not wasting your money! (I personally eat oranges instead and I'm naturally deficient in Magnesium and B so I take these on the regular)

- Sunshine

- Gratitude lists and journals

- Exercise

- Hugs and massages

- Minimising sugar intake - it triggers a quick release of serotonin but depletes it over time

- Sleep