FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Irritable & angry on meds

Lilly18
Community Member
Hi
Im new to this and hope I have posted this in the right place.
Just feeling a bit desperate to hear if anyone has had an experience like mine. Not sure why I'm feeling like this.
I have been on an ssri for nearly 13 weeks and for the first 8-9 weeks it was ok but then I had a day where I couldnt stop thinking how messed up iam in the head. It was freaking me out and i couldnt get it out of my head. Almost felt like i should be in a mental ward.
Since that day iv become extreemly irritable and angry getting worse each week. Around the same time i had that bad day, I also started getting diarrhea (sorry to much info!) And still have it weeks later.
I keep in touch with my gp and have had my first psychologist appointment but I still feel confused and a bit lost. I dont feel its normal to be getting irritated and angry on medication, has anyone else? Can meds cause/trigger bipolar?
Lots of people do have success on it but just not in my case.
6 Replies 6

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Lilly18,

Welcome to the forums. Yes, you've posted in a good place for this.

I am sorry to hear you are feeling very irritable and angry, and getting worse. SSRI's are known to have quite a few side effects and different SSRIs affect people differently. I have not heard of medications causing bipolar, but it can cause bipolar-like symptoms and worsen depression temporarily (mood swings, irritability, increased suicidal thoughts).

Have you been able to go back to your doctor to discuss your recent symptoms? They are the best people to talk to when it comes to medication, and can give you a different one to try which you may react better to.

I went through a few different SSRIs myself, and the nausea was what got me. I really struggled to find something that worked, but my doctor was very good and helped me through it.

James

MissMySon
Community Member

A lot of meds can cause anger and aggression, and also worsening of your original condition. See your doctor and ask if there might be a dosage adjustment or an alternatives medication for you.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks for replying ☺

Yes I have told my doctor about my symptoms, she didn't explain anything but i will be switching to an snri now.

Doctor thought it was strange to get these side effect so far in, I had absolutly no side effects for 9weeks now bam. I think i just want to know why its making me almost hostile but will probly never know.

Have tried two other ssri's but only lasted 4 days on them.

I have had to quit drinking, was a heavy drinker 20drinks a day maybe iv done some serious brain damage

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Lilly18,

I don't know much about these things, but could it also even be alcohol withdrawal? I watched a documentary recently about people who drank very heavily and the mental symptoms they would get (aside from physical) were pretty bad. Just a thought and you could raise it with your doctor if they don't know about your history with drinking.

Also, it's a shame the doctor didn't explain it to you. How did your psychologist appointment go? Were they more helpful?

James

Lilly18
Community Member

It wouldnt be alcohol withdrawal, i have been sober since September 2017.

PPsychologist appointment was ok, was just the first session answearing questions, she seems great though.

Does anyone know where irritability fits in? Is it depression? It' really effecting me and my kids don' deserve me being like this 😞

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

It's good to hear that the psychologist appointment went well. Hopefully more sessions will help you feel a bit better and set you up in the long term as well.

Irritability is a common side effect of many things including medication and depression and even not enough sleep. I have found that anything which puts a bit of mental or emotional strain will just make me more irritable.

But it sounds like it is causing you a lot of distress as you feel like you aren't able to be the best parent to your kids. I know it is little consolation when things feel like they are going wrong right now, but sometimes new medications can take a little while to work out so your new SNRI may not be effective for a little while. Equally, medications also need adjustment and can become less effective over time, which is why you've done the right thing by staying in touch with your doctor.

To me, it sounds like you're actually doing the most responsible thing for you and your kids by putting yourself out there to see the doctors. If it is getting very stressful, is there any way you can get some help with taking care of the kids? Perhaps a close family member or friend could just lend a hand or even just be available to speak on the phone when you are stressed out?

James