FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hypnotherapy for depression?

RenDoe
Community Member
Hello I'm new and this is my first post. I was wondering what people think of the idea of hypnotherapy for depression? I am 30 years old and a relative has offered to pay for sessions if I can find out more about it. Eg.. Is it worth it? The cost? What to expect? Recommendations? Thank you.
4 Replies 4

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi RenDoe, welcome to the forums and sorry you haven't had a response on this one. It's not a topic that we've had come up too often as a treatment option, but hypnotherapy is covered in beyondblue's Guide To What Works For Depression. I've copied the information from the booklet below so you can see what the evidence base is around it:

hypnotherapy

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi RenDoe,

I have just discovered your post. I would like to welcome you to the community here at Beyond Blue.

It is wonderful Christopher has posted the information for yourself and all of us regarding hypnosis. I have not tried it myself and am not sure if I would, but my husband has and he was a little sceptical. As I feel he is sceptical about a lot of treatments, I wouldn't take his thoughts as the best guide.

If you don't mind me asking, have you tried other therapies or strategies to help with your depression? I have tried a few things. Cognitive therapy, mindfulness, meditating, making time to enjoy activities I find pleasure in, reading, walking (not into running!) going to the beach, catching up with friends, joining a like minded group of people for volunteer work and so on.

This site is a very safe place to share how you are feeling if you desire to do so.

You could always try the hypnotherapy and see what you think. The only way to know if something will work is to try it.

I would be interested to know what you decide to do. Hope you find some answers somewhere!

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools

LawrenceA
Community Member

Hi RenDoe,

I only just came across your post however it become my reason to join the community here and to offer you some feedback.

For reasons of full disclosure, I should state that I am a hypnotherapist. I'm also an ACT therapist too. I've studied many of the therapeutic modalities that are out there and commonly used.

I need to state something right off the start and it might surprise you; hypnosis, in itself, does not change anything. Hypnosis is not a 'treatment'. It is simply a vehicle in which treatment can be delivered.

Having said that, I've experienced some remarkable transformations with people over time who have come in, trapped in their own thoughts and who have left with techniques and skills that have helped to quiet the mind.

As with any therapeutic relationship, what is most important is that you feel you can work with your therapist, that there is trust there, and that you can feel like a space has been created for you to share your thoughts and feelings without judgement. This is regardless of if it is a psychologist, psychiatrist or a therapist / counsellor / hypnotherapist. Note that many psychologists nowadays are beginning to utilise hypnotherapy within their practice too as you can easily incorporate a CBT or Gestalt or ACT or DBT or SFBT approach into hypnotherapy fairly effortlessly.

You should also keep in mind that mindfulness, while not hypnotherapy, is 'related'. It still involves an inward focus which is critical for hypnotherapy, and research from universities such as Harvard have shown remarkable benefits and advantages in a mindful approach. I'd certainly recommend it and you'll often find many therapies, such as ACT and DBT, that utilise mindfulness.

I hope this has helped! I'm not here to sell anything, just to educate and to share - and I hope that you're on the road to having a rich, meaningful existence once again.

Lawrence

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Interesting thread Ren I dont know if you're still around here hope so to hear if you did it

Thx all for interesting info on this, hope more come in to discuss