FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

DES_ do they actually help you get a job and hold it down?

E_Templar
Community Member

hi, I am not sure if this is the right category to post this in, or if this forum is the place I should ask this question at, so if not, please point me to the right direction and I'll appreciate it.

I'm currently with the regular jobactive service and my job search service provider is not exactly helping me at all. all they have done so far is to put me in an op shop to do work for the dole_ which I don't mind too much because I used to do the same work for the dole activity and it's a familiar environment, but it's not giving me any extra money ('cept for the odd $20 or so fortnight!) so I really need to get a job.

then my depression and anxiety come in to play_ I really, really dislike cold calling and cold marketing, handing in resumes, only to be told "we will call you back" then get no responses afterwards. I get cold and clammy hands. I get shaky and my voice trembles when I make phone calls. some people just put it down as my laziness or just not willing to work, that is not true. I do want to work to make my life better.

plus my "disability" is not physical and not visible, people tend to not believe that I have difficulty getting a job due to my conditions. "try harder" I am told. I am trying hard, but it spends me.

so I thought, well maybe DES can help me find a job and hold it down (for at least 6 months? or so I heard)_ is that true? do they ACTUALLY help you get a job if you are qualified for their services, not just "do yer job search and come back in a month for another appointment!"?

4 Replies 4

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi E Templar,

Thanks for posting. I haven't used DES services, so I am really unable to answer whether they are any good or not. I have heard often how useless the general job active services are and I sympathise with your frustration.

I just wanted to say that it sounds like you are doing a great job trying to move forward with your job search on your own. It's true that it can be more difficult with an 'invisible' disability, but I truly think people are getting better at recognising mental health as a disability. I dont think it would hurt to have the DES services a try. If they aren't more helpful then at least you have trialled more options.

Kind thoughts, Jess

Nurse_Jenn
Community Member

Hi E_Templar,

It is great that you are reaching out towards meeting your goal of gaining meaningful employment. What Jess334 mentioned about trying different options is great advise. Working in partnership with job agencies when I was a Community Mental Health Nurse, I know it can really depend on the actual Employment Consultant (EC) that you are assigned to as to whether you have a good experience or not. Every relationship between job seeker and employment consultant is unique and I have seen some of these EC's go the extra mile and become a persons main support. Other times this is sadly not the case.

I would agree with jess334 and think that giving DES a go is a great option. Like with any problem, it may take a few tries to find the right solution. For example, if someone has hurt their back or has a neck injury, they may try physio, chiro, massage, osteopath, acupuncture, pain clinic, medication etc. etc.... the options are endless but generally people who are successful in anything, have kept trying. As a job seeker with an "invisible" disability you have already tried a standard employment agency, you are now thinking of trying a DES service, you might join a public speaking group like ToastMasters to help with you cold calling anxiety, you might ask a friend to mock interview you so you are better prepared once you get your foot in the door, you might ask health professional to help you with anxiety and depression symptoms specific to job seeking etc.

Applying for jobs is tough at the best of times never mind when you have anxiety and depression symptoms. Confidence can play a huge part in finding the job that is right for you. Positive self talk can be one way to help the way your thinking happens if done regularly. Saying things to yourself before you start a job seeking activity such as "I am worthy of getting a great job" "I know I can do this" "There is a good job for me, I just haven't found it yet, but I will" This sounds simple but these statements are really important to tell yourself and to believe. It is through repetition we learn and teaching ourselves confidence requires regular reminders.

You have a great deal of insight into finding your solution already and with perseverance, you will secure employment that is right for you.

Wishing you the best possible outcome,

Nurse Jenn

The_Patrician
Community Member

From my experience none of them seemed to care.

I have a posgraduate degree and some business experience and they were ever so insistent that I go work in a warehouse some where and get a forklift license. I always asked for basic office jobs but they never offered anything.

What you could do is use them though to pay for things that may be needed to get a job or for the job. Maybe get them to pay for a careers advisor who phones employers or something?

I've had nothing but bad experiences with these types of places. When I tried complaining to the head office they didn't even respond.

These companies are nothing but an indirect fraud. What is worse is when you get the job on your own and did everything they are then entitled to get $4500 off the government yet did squat but probably made you even more depressed.

As an employer, if a job agency rings me trying to 'sell' a job seeker I always think 'why does this adult have someone calling on their behalf, it doesn't give me a good impression of the job seekers initiative level.

I'd suggest looking for your self.

Good luck.