FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Confused about Pyschologist

Guest_9870
Community Member

So i was seeing a pyschologist all of last year, but he never diagnosed me with anything, so i'm at a loss of why i am the way i am.

When i asked him what he thinks i have, he said depression and anxiety. But i am sure theres more to it then that with all the trauma i have had in my life and not being able to hold a job down.

I will be seeing a new pyschologist this year, i am looking forward to that. But can i ask for a report from my old pysch? i feel like I've achieved nothing out of it.

Thankyou for any advice on this

5 Replies 5

Shred1106
Community Member

Hey angie26

I believe your new psychologist can contact your old one and ask for a report.It may save you going through some things again. Any which way, if therapy works for you then go for it. It can be difficult changing to someone new, the one I have been seeing for the past 14 months recently told me she thinks she makes it worse by seeing me... I have trouble with that because there is just no one else I can talk to..

Wishing you all the best

Thankyou Shred that is good to know. Therapy hasn't worked so far for me, which is why i want to try someone new but you're correct it isn't easy to change pyschs. I could imagine how troubling that would be to hear from your pysch when you feel you need it... i hope you find talking here helpful like i do.

Guest 9870, I have changed psychs 4 times and worked with each of them for different durations (from months to one year plus), i finally found someone who worked well for me and have been able to talk about most things. I hope if you decide to continue with therapy, get some recommendations from doctors and look at their profiles online before choosing one to meet and have a chat with. Then from there see if you feel you click with them.

Hi Guest_9870,

Absolutely you can request a report from your psychologist. This will definitely help the next psychologist but at the same time the rapport is very factual and will often miss information. So chances are there will be a lot of repeating!

The other option that you have is discussing your concerns with your current psych. This is your time so you absolutely have the right to challenge them and ask questions. "Have you considered any other diagnoses?" "With x y z I wonder whether there is something else that might fit other than depression and anxiety" "I want to know why you decided on depression rather than x".

It's also important to know that depression is never a once size fits all. Being able to hold a job down or having a full-time job does not necessarily mean you do/don't have depression. Having trauma in your life vs not having any trauma doesn't necessarily mean you do/don't. What is it that bothers you about the diagnosis of depression? Do you feel like it doesn't validate you with the trauma you've been through?

Hope this helps,

I don’t understand how she make it worse? Does she meant by she can’t help you in your problems?