FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Changing my mood stabiliser medication - terrible side effects

Bella4216
Community Member

Hi, so my psych recently, decided to change my prescribed medication for treating my bipolar, as it wasn't quite delivering the effects we had hoped for. I was relatively more stable than I had been, but I was still experiencing some hypomanic symptoms, and medication was making me feel tired, causing muscle stiffness, hair loss, and messing with my immune system.

So, l am now on another mood stabiliser for bipolar, and l am having a really rough time transitioning to it. I'm not sure if its the fact that I am simultaneously going off my last medication, and beginning this new one, but I can't think properly, my memory is impaired, I have terrible hand tremors, headaches, terrible thirst, incredible anxiety, and no apparent improvement in my mood. I am so incredibly anxious about this whole process, and just wish l had stayed on my previous medication. My next appointment with my psych isn't for another 5 weeks, and I've been told to persist with the medication. I don't know what to do though, and I've heard/read some bad reviews about the medication in terms of side effects. Another which l am really worried about is excessive weight gain - as apparently it can cause that. I just wish there was a medication that could cure me of my bipolar symptoms and have minimal side effects. There is such a limited range of mood stabilisers out there, and this new one I am on is my last option.

Has anyone had a similar experience with weening of mood stabilisers/going onto a new one? Will the side effects get better with time, or should I just stop taking it? I am so frustrated as l can barely function. I don't know how ill get through this.

7 Replies 7

SammyD100
Community Member

Hi Bella

It sounds like you've had a really rough time with medication, I'm sorry it's been such a difficult road for you.

From what I have been learning (as part of my Psychology Masters), it is unfortunately quite common to have significant side effects when adjusting to a new medication / tapering off a previous medication. I'm guessing the combination of doing both at the same time is likely to produce even more debilitating side effects than just doing one or the other?

I'm sure five weeks feels like an incredibly long time to wait for your next appointment, but I would definitely recommend NOT doing anything to reduce or adjust the medication dosage you've been prescribed until that appointment! Medications need a certain amount of time to stabilise in your system before the effects may be seen. You mentioned that this is the last line of medications left for you to try so I really think you need to give it a real chance?

You say you're (understandably) really anxious about the whole process and I wonder if perhaps there are some things you could try to reduce that anxiety in the meantime? I'm not sure if you've been seeing a Psychologist alongside your medication for your Bipolar, but sometimes it's helpful to try and challenge any unhelpful thoughts we're having through CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). We know that our thoughts can have an impact on the way we feel, and then how we behave: So for example I might have a thought, "This medication is really not working for me, it's useless to keep trying"; then feel even worse about the medication as a result, so stop taking it. A more helpful way to think might be something like, "This medication is really not working for me, but I need to give it a bit more time as the side effects may ease soon"; as a result I hopefully won't feel quite so negative about the meds, and keep taking them. Sometimes just a small shift in thinking can really help and it might be worth giving this a go?

If this isn't quite working for you, strategies to try and relax a bit more, like Yoga; or Mindfulness, (I personally like the Smiling Mind app) might also be worth a try?

I hope you're able to keep persisting! If you're not seeing a Psychologist to work through some other ways to manage your Bipolar I would also recommend looking into that, as there's a lot of evidence for the effectiveness of strategies like CBT in stabilising mood in Bipolar Disorder.

All the best, SammyD

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Bella,

Welcome to the forum.

SammyD has given some helpful suggestions.

I have been living with a diagnosis of bipolar for over 40 years. It is hard with new medication getting used to it and trying to be patient.

There is a thread called This bipolar life that you are welcome to come and ask questions , as we all have different experiences we can share.

Quirky

Thankyou Sammy for taking the time to write all that. I do find many of those recommendations helpful, and l will try to implement some of them! I definitely think that my anxiety is getting in the way of me adjusting to my medication, as l keep obsessing about all the possible side effects…and convincing myself that l have them. I guess it is a relief to know that it is normal to initially have some side effects when going on/off medication, so thankyou for mentioning that. Yes, it is the last option I really have medication wise, so l agree, I probably should persist with it. I am familiar with a few CBT strategies, so l will do my best to try and use some of them..i think at the moment I really need to distract myself from the unhelpful thoughts I am having about the medication. Thanks for recommending that app, I will give it a go. Thankyou,
Bella

Bella,

Thanks for replying.

I too have focussed on side effects and then feel that even if I a get an itch, it must be the medication!

I found with CBT that I was more comfortable with just challenging my thoughts especially when I get in a rut.

I find that physical exercise even a fast walk helps me from dwelling on things and getting stuck.

It can be hard but after 40 years I have learnt to believe in myself and if I do something silly, I don't get mad at myself but try to learn why I did what I did.

Take care

Quirky

Lilly18
Community Member

Sorry tour going through this rough time! 😯

I have mine in the cupboard im too scared to take it. I'm worried about side effects & i havnt been told I have bipolar. Are they prescribed for other things do you know?

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Bella, by writing your post you have helped others to ask questions.

lily18,

Thanks for your post. I think it would be a good idea to go back to your doctor and Enquiries what the tablets are for and why they have been described.

sometimes when we are we are at the doctors we forget to ask the questions we think of later. It is important to know why you have been prescribed the tablets and how they will help. Also ask your doctor what the side effects are.

Quirky

Hi everyone

Bella I'm glad you felt a little better after reading my post, and the other responses no doubt. I hope this past week has been a little easier for you; perhaps you've been able to try some different strategies and they've helped a bit?

And Lilly I think quirkywords' advice is so true. Many people feel very overwhelmed when given a diagnosis or prescription, and aren't able to process this information very easily on the spot as it can be very confronting. It's probably hard for us to advise you much further if you're not sure whether you have a diagnosis etc, so I would agree with quirkywords that you would benefit from going back to your doctor to discuss this (perhaps armed with a list of questions!!).

Best of luck,

SammyD