FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,005 Replies 1,005

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
What a cool feeling Mark, great to get that acknowledgement, well done

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I managed to get my daughter some work walking a dog and bathing it.Small start but at least it's a start.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Mark, Ur an awesome dad, that sounds great

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Their is a job for an animal attendant about an hour from here.I will get my daughter to send in her resume.

Tired_of_being
Community Member

HI

My 16 yo son has recently moved back with me. He has asd and add and was beaten up in other household as parent could not cope. Son has worsening OCD and it is taking his day up. He is now staying in his room, eating one small meal and taking over my house. His bathroom, toilet, floors, his clothes and so many things have rituals and routines. I am trying to connect him with supports - he has NDIS. But its so hard.

I realise COVID has been cruel and he has been allowed to go into school, but now refuses after he had an issue with another student. I am a high school teacher and know he is ticking all the boxes for desperate help and how much this is hurting him.

I don't know the 'rules' he works by as they are expanding and getting more rigid.

He is so tall and strong, so unless he wants to do something, there is no way i can get him to do anything.

He sees a psych fortnightly, for OCD, yet i am not sure she is helping. He is not ready to do self help. I fear that it will get so much worse.

Thanks for listening, can i have some strategies please?

Hi Tired of being it sounds like you have your hands full with your 16y.o son.Your son seems to being ruled by his OCD's.I am sorry the psych dosnt seem to be helping with it.I have them so does my 17y.o daughter and my son has a very strict routine he must stick to.

My daughter has missed 25 days of last term and it is very hard to get her to go to school.She is complaining of other health issues and seem to be at the doctor's regularly.Only a few weeks to go for my daughter to go at school and then she starts a new chapter in her life.

I wondering what interest your son has and if their is something you could get him into doing a course at TAFE or a sport he could get involved in.Their might be something through NDIS you can utilise.I have NDIS for my two children and know it can be a bit tricky to negotiate.I did have mine doing physio on horseback which gave my son a lot of confidence.I have my daughter's new plan and it has funding for further education and looking for work

I just want you to know that you are not alone with what you are going through with your son and we are here to listen.

Take care,

Mark.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
A very sad day today as my kids lost their horse today.

Emo
Community Member

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry about the shortness of this reply but I have to be quick. I wanted you and your kids to know that you are all in my prayers and I'm so very sorry for your loss.

I assume that when you mean loss that the horse has passed away. Please forgive me if I'm wrong. If it means that the horse has wandered off somewhere then I hope you can find it soon.

I hate to see anyone in pain so I hope that you can eventually find some comfort in the happy memories you have of your horse. Take care.

Regards,

Emo.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Mark I'm sorry you had such a horrible and upsetting loss

It can be so hard to have a loss of a pet. The mood and feeling must be so hard, Hope u are taking care of urself. Here to listen

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Emo and sleepy and thankyou for your kind words.Yes it was the horse passing.I think she was 32 and was a saved rescue horse.My son and daughter were very upset and crying and so was I.It is a very emotional time.Flicka has always been in my son's life and my kids use to ride her.

Take care,

Mark.