FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,005 Replies 1,005

Boudica
Community Member
Thanks Sophie

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Boudica I have been at the schools Gala day all day.I am sorry you are struggling at the moment.Its not easy parenting a child with special needs and not knowing how he is going to be during the day and what drama will await you for the day.My day was ok.My son was ok today and easy to manage unlike last fortnight where he was full on at Gala day.It was an easy day in the end.

I haven't done much at in the garden lately and we have had heavy frost here knocking back everything.

Take care,

Mark.

Boudica
Community Member

Hello,

Happy to hear things went well for you. What is Gala Day? We do not have these. My son's school stopped having any events as soon as covid started, and parents are not even allowed on premises except in the office still. I feel really sorry for the tiny little reception children who had to adapt to finding their way out the gate as soon as they started school. In our state there has been hardly any covid, but the reaction by schools has been very strong.

Actually, things are not too bad with Blake, he has been explosive but manageable, he can be de-escalated fairly quick, I am used to this. It has not been anywhere near as bad as it gets. This year school has been pretty good, last year was horrendous. Can never quite relax though, as soon as I do, something truly awful happens.

I saw the QLD frost on the ABC news app that I have actually. The photographs made me want to get out there and stomp around in the frosty paddocks with my gumboots like when I was a child.

Have a nice day

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Boudica the Gala day is just all the schools in the district come to one school even the private schools and play sport against each other over two Fridays.Their was a bit of nastiness from one of the schools and one of my son's team mates left the field in tears.

Another frosty morning here just nice sitting in front of the fire.

Take care,

Mark.

Boudica
Community Member

Hello Mark,

How I miss having a fireplace! I am glad you are cosy. I am rugged up with heater on trying to study, but still cold, as it is hard to keep warm sitting still. Blake is at his Dad's today but will be back for dinner.

I am being driven crazy by a mouse at the moment. It has got through the vent outside I think, and is in the cavity between downstairs ceiling and floor upstairs. There is no way to get in there to get it out. It is rustling all day and my son is starting to worry about it chewing the house wiring. I know I have to deal with it, but not sure how. Maybe I need to try to put poison bait into the vent where it must have got in. The openings are only the size of a 10 cent piece. I have a cat that sits and stares at the ceiling all day, but can't get in.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hey boudica,

hope u can find a way to get rid of the mouse becauase they are so frustrating!!!

i've had the same issue in my apartment and found it very stressful, hope blake is feeling okay this weekend

TheLastSlice_ofBread
Community Member

Guilt was a common conversation I had with parents when working at a special needs school.
I found they put pressure on themselves and the general public too.

our main Line was so what you need to do to keep yourself well an able to care for Them.

that may have meant utilising respite (or fighting for more) using nappies despite age,

it’s a tough gig and if you need more support please be in contact as I may be able to help with contacts

Hi TheLastSlice of Bread thanks for your caring suggestions.You are completely right about needing to keep yourself well to be able to care for your kids.It does make it harder when I suffer from physical and mental health problems.I think it is one of the main things is having the energy to look after them.You have good days and bad days.

Take care,

Mark.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Boudica mice were bad here until we had all that rain and it drowned a lot of them and their numbers have dropped.I have manage to keep them outside and had none in the house.

The fire is nice on a cold day and I like to sit and watch it.Still frost here this morning with light frost.

I did a couple of hours out in the garden this morning.I did some pruning and potted up a few things.

Take care,

Mark.

Boudica
Community Member

Good Morning all,

It is a nice bright clear morning here, but very chilly, which makes it just a little harder to leave my warm bed.

So glad you made it out to the garden for a bit. Gardening is so peaceful. I haven't had time myself these last days, but I bought some new ceramic planters when I was in Aldi, so I can look forward to having more plants in the house.

Mum and I have been in the habit of leaving boxes of giveaway plants grown from cuttings outside the rear gate of my property. We have done this for some years now, and find they go very quick, as there is a path along there that is quite busy. We started originally as I was having problems with people stealing plants from my garden, so thought I would provide some for those who could not afford to buy, but I still have this problem sometimes. I really have no sympathy for the plant thieves now. This week they took a cocky's tongue that I planted, Grrrr!

I have not dealt with the mouse yet, I kind of feel sorry for it, but know it must be done.

Sleepy, sorry you have to endure another lockdown. Let's hope it will be very short this time.