FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,005 Replies 1,005

Jstar49
Community Member

Hi Mark,

I agree with what Em has said, a nice balance between your innate kindness and concern for your kids and their home life, and recognising that you are important too. Looking after you is also helping your kids, so whatever you can do to keep your boat stable in the waters of life with all it's challenges, is definitely worth it.

Maybe while you're enjoying time with your kids, in these last few days, you can talk to your son about any concerns he has, and brainstorm some strategies- gently, and maybe choose your time, when he is relaxed but not just before bed or anything. Then you could make some notes and be prepared for informing the school of anything you'd like them to know. I have a note on my fridge for my d's teacher, so that I won't forget when those early parent teacher meetings happen. We have some in the first week or so now, usually, for all kids if parents want that.

This is definitely the time for enjoying the last days of holidays, preparing for the new school year by being organised and relaxed at home.

I braved the shops yesterday and bought new school shoes, plus new swimmers for me. I felt a high sense of achievement when I got home! Two huge things in one afternoon!

All the best Mark,

J*

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Jstar and Em.Thanks for your suggestions.I will go to my daughter's high school tomorrow and pay her fees so that is done.I am just feeling so anxious at the moment making sure they have everything.The primary contact us soon and we will have a chat about the plan for the year is.Is a bit odd having school start in the middle of the week because of the Australia Day holiday.
I don't answer my phone usually after a certain time.My ex is very needy and gets very upset if you don't text back straight away.She has bipolar and was never easy to live with.
Take care,
Mark.

Jstar49
Community Member

You've got this Mark!

I understand that you're feeling anxious, but one thing at a time....

Cheers,

J*

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Jstar just been to the high school and paid the fees for the year so one thing done of my list.

Guest_4643
Community Member
Hey Mark, just popping in to say I'm thinking of you

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Tayla I hope you are doing ok.Thinking of you to.

Thanks Mark, I'm ok I guess. I'll reply on my own thread at some point, haven't felt like checking it.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Ok Tayla I am always here to talk

Thanks Mark, I'm always here to talk to you too.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi all tomorrow I decided to take the kids bowling as my son has been asking me to take him.A little fun before school starts maby help them take away the stress of school starting.I can tell my daughter is getting very anxious with going back to school.I am anxious about so many different things at the moment.My head feels like it is going to explode.A lot of drama happening with my ex at the moment,their usually always is.
Take care,
Mark.