FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Sister with depression

Holly289
Community Member

Hi,

My sister has depression and anxiety. She has recently moved back in with my parents at 34, and is finding this difficult. She has an addiction to food and has put on a lot of weight over the last couple of years which I am sure is compounding her depression. She is anxious at the thought of never buying a house as house prices in her area are rising quickly. She is also single and watching her friends get married also makes her more upset. My mum is trying everything she can to help her lose weight, and using her contacts to help her buy a property. I am 5 hours away, but talk to her everyday on the phone, and go to her when I can. I have tried getting her out of the house and even have used my holidays to go house hunting for her. Our whole family is walking around on egg shells as she frequently cries when we try to help and we don't want to make things worse. My parents are worried about her weight as well.

What can we do to help? She is currently seeing a counsellor. She just looks so miserable all the time, even when she is laughing and we don't know what to do to help.

Thank you for any advice.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Holly289, 

Thank you for your post to the forums and for joining this warm, welcoming and kind community. It can be really tough supporting a loved one who is dealing with poor mental health, we can hear from your writing that you care a lot for you sister and just want what is best. The stresses that your sister is facing, combined with her depression and anxiety must be difficult but she is lucky to have your support. 

We have a few links that you might find useful below but want to make sure that you are looking after your own mental health at the same time. If you find yourself feeling low then it is important that you reach out for your own support. You can call us, anytime, on 1300 22 4636. Our team are here to support you while you support your sister. 

Beyond Blue Articles
How to check in with someone
When to talk vs when to listen
What not to say to someone with depression
10 ways to be there for someone

We hope there is something there for you that is helpful and that you can feel confident in the support you're giving your sister. It sounds like you are doing an amazing job already. Please keep us updated on how you are going if you feel comfortable. 

Kind regards, 
Sophie M

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi and welcome to the forums.

it sounds as though you care very much for your sister. Sophie_M has also provided a number of useful links to look at for helping. Additionally, there seems to be a lot on your sister's plate to deal with at the moment with food and weight, money and housing, friends getting married etc.

It is good to hear she is also getting help with a counsellor. All that I know from my own experiences is that changes take time and a desire to change. Continue with what you are doing and being encouraging without being OTT about it. (There was a time when I remember everyone was giving me advice on what to do ...)