FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Partner of a amazing guy who suffers depression

LennieP
Community Member
Hello everyone I’m lennie and I’m completely new to this.I have been seeing my wonderful partner for over 2 yrs now and he suffers from depression.I on the other hand do not no much about it at all.I spend a lot of time reading books about depression,looking information up on the internet doing my best to understand what he is feeling.im hopeing someone on here may be able to help support me through trying to learn all I can to better support my wonderful man.
4 Replies 4

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi LennieP

Welcome to the bb forum and thank you for sharing your story. Rest assured that you have arrived at a place of kindness and support.

Your partner is really lucky to have someone like you--kind, caring and loving.

Learning about his illness is one of the best things you can do and I recommend all of materials on the bb website. The more you learn the better able you will be to understand his pain and behaviour and respond appropriately. You don't have to have all the answers, but a warm heart and willingness to listen will help. Just be there for him.

I care for a child with a mental health condition and I know how challenging it can be. The best advice I can give you is to take good care of yourself, too. It's really important to eat well, get plenty of rest and take time to do things that you enjoy. The stronger you are, the better support you will be able to provide.

I wish you and your partner nothing but the best. Depression is very common and with the right treatment most people recover.

Kind thoughts to you

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi LennieP,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for reaching out.

It's wonderful that you're here and wanting to support your partner. As someone who has been on both sides I can say that it's not easy!

Carmela has written a great post here about supporting a depressed partner and hopefully it can help you too -

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/supporting-family-and-friends-with-a-mental-health-condition-(carers)/need-advice-to-cope-with-depressed-partner

Feel free to ask any questions or let us know how we can help.

Hope you enjoy being here.

Thankyou so much for your kind words I will definatly keep your advice in mind

Thankyou I have read the article and is was a wonderful help