FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Not eating

Nicboc
Community Member

Hi there I have a friend who's going through depression and anxiety for the first time in his life and he's going through some drastic changes because of it. He doesn't want to eat breakfast or lunch and sometimes dinner because he wants to loose weight and also because he thinks its easier to deal with his depression if his stomach is hurting. I'm really worried about him.

Also I'm only newly friends with him so I'm not sure if he even wants me to help him with it or if I'm just bothering him 😞

2 Replies 2

kanga_brumby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Nicboc Welcome to beyond blue forums. Thanks for your post, your wright in being concerned for your friend. Totally going without food to loose weight is dangerous. As binge eating there area hole range of problems that type of eating can cause. I am not qualified to diagnose or advise on which path he should take but your friend really needs someone to advise him how to loose weight properly. At worst maybe missing one meal per day tops. or smaller serves would be far better than starving.

Kanga

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Nicboc~

You are in a very worrying situation and it is hard for you to know what to do - particularly as your options are somewhat limited.

Having anxiety and depression and an eating disorder that results in pain are all pretty big things and need professional treatment. just by itself the eating disorder, as Kanga says, can be very dangerous indeed.

Any sensible person will understand if someone cares about them and is worried. It's true that depression can make a person want to be alone or not talk, however the need for proper medical support remains. Even if he does get angry it may be worth it if you end up getting him to go to the doctor.

I would suggest two things. Firstly try to get your friend to have medical help, and if he rejects your arguments then see if there is anyone else who might have more success in persuading him. Does he have a family or friends you can talk with about his situation?

The second thing is simply to let him know you are there for him. He may not wish to talk about how he feels, that's OK. Try to do things with him if you can that you both enjoy.

At such a stressful and worrying time do you have someone to care for you? A parent or friend perhaps. In these situations you need support too to talk things over and share the load.

Croix