FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Not a punch-bag. How to set boundaries?

Sparkey8
Community Member

Hi guys, new to the forum. My husband has been dx'd with depression and is on an SSRI which he sometimes (a few times a week) forgets to take. He has only been on it for a couple of weeks. He's a great guy, I love him dearly however we are having issues with him lashing out at me verbally. He criticises the way in which I look after our daughter which makes me very sad, because it's not true and during his ok times he would never even think such things. A few weeks ago he listed off 18 things about me that he felt were wrong or that were my bad points. He has since apologised for that but I can't stop thinking about them, because most of them were true, stuff like I don't care for my things enough etc.

What I need to know is: how do you establish what is unacceptable behaviour whilst still supporting your partner? How do you let things go that they say in their bad times? Am I just being over-sensitive to these remarks?

2 Replies 2

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sparkey

welcome to the forum This place is full of kind caring and supportive people.

For your well being , the important thing is to understand that although these words are spoken to you, they are not about you.

They are the result of your husband's depressed behaviour.

He may he is losing control of - himself, his emotions, his life - and as a response he may react verbally, and you're on the receiving end. His list of the things he felt were your bad points are about his self loathing and lack of control and so he takes it out on you.

Deep down he knows his behaviour is un acceptable so he apologises.

As you wrote your husband has apologised but each time he does the pain builds up adding to the last outburst., Can you start to take an step back, so that you can help yourself from the effect of him lashing out?

I think it's important to become clear about what you will and you will not put up with this.

This can take some doing, and you may require some help with this.

I know someone who used a visual cue of a traffic light , so green the conversation was fine then amber prepare to stop, be careful it is getting inappropriate , then red is stop.

That may not suit you but you get the idea, also by keeping it visual then you don't need extra words.

Obviously when he is feeling well is the time to talk about how his outbursts make you feel and how you need to look after yourself and how you know it is his depression talking and how much you love him.

You are not alone. You are doing a great job caring for your husband and your daughter. We are here to listen and support.

Quirky

Thanks so much Quirky, that really helps. When he does lash out I go into my shell and go very quiet so that doesn't help because he thinks that I'm angry at him and then his own anger builds up until he has a few drinks and calms down again. I actually didn't realise how bad it was until I started typing these posts. I'm glad I found this forum. Thanks for the encouragment and yes I will try to remember that it's not him that is talking. Hard not to take the words to heart though.