FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Need help

Shelly2024
Community Member

Hi, i am an this forum because my daughter has tried to take her life again i dont know what to do anymore. This time she posted on facebook (which i cant see) that she was going to end it. I knew something was not right so i told her i would go to work and be back within the hour and we can spend day together. I got home and found she had attempted. I called ambulance and know hoping she will come home today. The problem is i dont know what to do anymore although she always says it has nothing to do with me. She is a beautiful young woman with so much potential but she cant see it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Michelle

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Dear Shelly2024,

We would like to welcome you to our very helpful and supportive community.

We understand how easy it is to want to blame ourself when someone we are responsible for attempts to harm themself, and how much worse it must be when the person is your child.

Have you and your daughter worked with a GP to get a mental health plan for her?

Is your daughter seeing a mental health professional?

Are you seeing a mental health professional?

We understand that the mental and emotional strain on you would probably be considerable, given what is occurring, and talking with a Mental Health professional could help considerably, as well as helping you develop strategies to help with your daughter. Your mental health is also very important.

For a quick discussion, we would like to encourage you to ring our support service on 1300 22 4636. The Mental Health professionals can help you prepare for your daughter's return home today. You may also call Lifeline on 13 1114.

Please remember, we are always here for you.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Michelle,

Wellcome to our forums.

I'm so sorry this is happening to your beautiful daughter and yourself, I understand that as a mother this would be terribly painful to watch.

Has your daughter ever been diagnosed with anything?

It's so hard when you are overcome by a mental health condition they can be really unrelenting.

Just try to talk calmly to your daughter and just try to show her understanding.

I really hope that your daughter is receiving some professional help?

Please know we are here for you on this forum, please chat to us and ask us anything.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi shelly,

i am sorry to hear this has happened. As sophie said, are you and your daughter seeking support? do you think she should go to emergency and be taken care of in the hospital? as in, do you think she needs to be somewhere safe?

it is definitely hard to watch a family member hurting and not wanting to be here. but there is light at the end of the tunnel, i would try what sophie suggested and seek professional help whenever next possible.

i hope things improve,

jaz xx

Karen0901
Community Member

I attempted to end my life when I was younger. The nurse at the hospital explained in graphic detail what kind of death I was going to experience from the way I tried to do it. It made me realise, I didn't want to end it as much as I thought I did. What I wanted was someone to help me out of the situation I was in. 

The fact that your daughter posted it to Facebook and attempted when she  knew you would be home in an hour sounds like a cry for help. I'm not sure she understands what death means. I had an ambulance worker ask me once if I understood ending my life is forever. It's a good question. I suggest finding out why she attempted and work on fixing it. Does she need to change schools? Have acces to mental health supports? Good luck and I hope everything is going well.