FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My teen has severe anxiety

ShMaYo
Community Member

My teen has been suffering severe anxiety in most situations outside our home, predominantly social anxiety. They have been seeing a therapist and having regular doctors appointments as well as getting support from family and friends. Things seemed to be improving but we felt some medical intervention might also help.

Recently they have started on medication, which I was very reluctant about but anything that will help is good.....right? They started on a half dose and was having some queezyness and dizziness as well as some nightmares,but it was manageable so we persevered. Today was the first day on a full dose and it was a disaster. They were very dizzy, vomited twice, almost blacked out and had heart palpitations. My child thought they were dying. It was awful.

Im not sure if it was a full blown panic attack (which has never happened before), or side effects of the medication. Either way, we are go8ng back to a half dose tomorrow and booking in to see the Doctor ASAP.

Anyone else had this experience with anxiety ?

1 Reply 1

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi ShMaYo,

Welcome to the forums. I hope you find some support here.

I'm sorry your teenager is suffering from anxiety. It's great that you are getting them professional help. Medication can be a big help when you get the dose and the type right.

Unfortunately everyone is different so finding the right type and dose can take time.

I have had all of those symptoms you described (including vomitting and heart palpatations) during an anxiety attack. I can understand how if they were worried about increasing the meds that might have bought on anxiety. However, you definitely should see the doctor about any side effects. There are other drugs that they might tolerate better.

It sounds like you are being a really supportive parent which is the thing your teen needs most.

Kind thoughts, Jess