FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Husbands Depression is Getting Worse

dcs083
Community Member

Hi everyone,

My husband suffers from depression, anxiety and has been diagnoses with BPD. Like most, he has his good days and his bad. However, since his brain surgery last year, things have been getting progressively worse. He's definitely notice he's changed and he's seeking help from a therapist, which is great, but with each attack of his depression, he just starts to shut himself out. I struggle with this because I'm a talker and like to talk things through immediately rather than letting things boil internally. I'm learning to change my way of thinking to help support him which is why I'm here. I'm here to seek advice and to find out if there are any groups I could attend or classes I could join in Sydney to learn more about anxiety and depression, to gain a better understanding of what my husband is going through on a daily basis, This is also something that my husband is encouraging me to do.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me out.

3 Replies 3

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear dcs083~

I'm sure there are many here who have had to care for a partner the depression, it is huge ongoing task and very wearing and stressful on you. There is no set path and things seem to change from day to day. I'd earnestly suggest apart from anything else you talk with your GP not only for ideas, but also to have your own health monitored.

Do you have a family member or friend you can lean on now? Trying to deal with this in isolation is very hard.

The idea of a support group or similar is an excellent one, and although we here inside the Forum are not in a position to make recommendations you can ring our 24/7 help line on 1300 22 4636 who may well be able to help with what is available in your particular area.

Please let us know how you get on

Croix

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Dcs, thanks for posting your comment.

I'm very sorry to hear that your husband has had to have brain surgery but pleased he is consulting a therapist, as I've also had a brain injury and depression plus anxiety became an added demon to the list of traumas.

A traumatic brain injury interferes with the way the brain normally works, nerve cells in the brain are damaged and will cause changes in his behaviour and abilities to achieve what he once was able to do.

I agree with Croix to seek help from your doctor and I know that your husband doesn't want to be answering questions, and I say this, because, an enormous change is something he has to try and understand the reason why it has had to happen.

He won't be able to do what he was able to do before this happened, and there will be times when he may get cross with himself.

I can give you a couple of sites about brain injury if you want, the reason I'm not posting them now is that my comment will be held back for moderators to check, but please let me know.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

dcs083
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply and YES, I would love you to post some sites about brain surgery. Thank you.

My husband has started seeing a therapist, though he isn't meshing well with him. But the good news is he stioll wants to continue to see someone so he is researching new doctors.