FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

my 35 year old son has schizotypal disorder but has no insight and is untreated

Leebump
Community Member

Hi,

How can we get our 35 year old son, who has been unwell for 16+ years to accept he has a mental illness that is negatively affecting his life. He has had two stays in hospital in the past 3 years and was put on an involuntary treatment order to which he didn't comply.

He has distanced himself from us and has been homeless for the past 2 months and has no insight to his illness.

It is heartbreaking as he is such a remarkable human whom we love and adore and WILL not give up on.

We have currently listed him on the Missing persons register and are hoping he presents sometime soon as last contact by phone he was clearly unwell.

This has been a long haul for our family and we have exhausted every avenue to get him the help he deserves however we are constantly told that he needs to want the help that is offered - DER!!!!! he doesn't believe he has an illness so why would he want help.

It is so frustrating! I just would like to know if anyone is in the same boat or have been and found a solution.

So tired and want my son to live his best life.

6 Replies 6

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi... I am not a carer but am a person who resisted treatment

I had been abused and hurt in the system which is why I was sceptical. Maybe Ur son is traumatised by his hospital stays? There are some places that specifically have more non confronting treatments....and also even groups for ppl with schizophrenia ...I've heard they have saved lives.

The best thing in my opinion, is to meet and connect to others who are going through the same, sometimes it helps ppl regain trust.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, he is definitely traumatised from his hospital stays and can fully understand but he still is adamant that there is nothing wrong and will not engage in any treatments whatsoever.

We would happily take him to whoever he felt comfortable seeing but having no insight he will not even consider seeing anyone except a spirtual healer ( he has seen many and wasted a lot of money)

It is such a sad situation and we miss him sooo much.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

What about a peer worker? Ppl with lived experience. Sadly it's true u can't make ppl get help....also the idea of what help is is different for everyone

Maybe the spiritual healers could be a way in....not all are charlatans. I'm sorry I don't have so much experience with schizophrenia although many of my friends have had episodes of psychosis. ..but they were OK with treatment from the public hospital.

I guess the link would be finding a person or treatment he felt safe with. I can sort of understand from his perspective feeling like he doesn't need it and is fine....no one really wants to go to a hospital. I resisted for a long time, until I encountered a triage team who genuinely respected me and listened. I hope Ur son meets someone who can provide that space for him, be it a peer worker, mh nurse, social worker, or Dr. Sometimes the non clinical supports are the best.

Thank you once again - I agree that what help he might want is different to main stream and that is ok too.

At this point any help from anyone would be a step in the right direction.

We will sit tight and wait for him to contact us and try some different avenues if we get that opportunity, fingers crossed.

Thank you, much appreciated!

ps

I am so glad you found some good people to help you.

Take care

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
That's really kind, thanks. It took me about four years to a cept help, and to find the right ppl. I held out for ages. I'm sorry it's so tough for u guys, I can only imagine. It is hard not having a good influence or friend, if Ur son has anyone in his life who u think is that, maybe they could help x