FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Me alcoholic

aniruddhpan
Community Member

I am an alcoholic, been trying to do whatever to get out of it. I even take naltrexone. Work full time 2 jobs but cannot rid of this issue. I have tried counselling but its very difficult to get actual face to face.

I suffer from depression and social anxiety so dont know what will work for me.

I waste lot of money in binge drinking. Will not drink for month then book hotel and drink for 3 to 4 days wasting money. So I do 2 jobs so I can still support my family.

Can someone please advise what method for quitting worked for them?

This shame is killing me. Just hate myself but still go and drink.

2 Replies 2

David35
Community Member

You drink to try and get rid of the shame. It's a vicious cycle. I drink because I loathe myself. I loathe myself because I drink. There are many vicious cycles like this in alcoholism.

I found myself in one such spiral back in 2010 after long period of unemployment (I'm on a DSP for medical reasons). So I went to AA. They explained to me that I was using alcohol to treat my emotional problems, because that's all I was taught growing up. The ideal way is to talk them through, either with a trusted friend, relative or counsellor. You can find counselling services online now too.

But the crux of AA is to point out that you're not alone. It's a bit like catching a cold. Alcoholism is a social disease, an addiction, made worse by the feeling of isolation. Anyone is prone to "catch" it. So just like a cold, we shouldnt feel ashamed. Once the shame starts to recede, the need to drink to rid yourself of that shame will go too. Then when your head clears up, youll be able to make clearer choices. 

MY own underlying problems we're a lack of self worth because due to my head injury I sustained long time ago, couldn't hold down a job. So that feeling of failure was causing me to drink to numb myself. But it then resurfaces few days later. I addressed that inadequacy by getting into hobby woodworking, which in turn helped get me off the drink. There's usually a reason why you binge drink. But you'll never discover that while your drunk.

Last suggestion is to find the AA Blue Book and read it.

Thanks David I will get the AA blue book.

But all you said is something I relate to. No family in this country and the people who are even those dont want to talk. Its because I only speak with people when I am drunk else I do not like to talk much as dont have nothing to say.

Drink to numb and then shame absoluty vicious cycle.