FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Long distance relationship - boyfriend with depression

Jacah
Community Member

Hi all,

I have been in a long distance relationship for 9 months with a gorgeous man who I love incredibly. We get along so well, and he's just beautiful.

When we met he was depressed however I didn't realise, as our relationship started out we were both so excited and chirpy that I found that both my anxiety, and his depression was nowhere to be seen. We spoke twice a day, texted constantly, about everything and a lot of sexual things. (honeymoon)

About 3 months in, he completely plummeted emotionally and asked for a break and for me to cancel all flights and that he could not handle our relationship anymore. It broke my heart. We hardly spoke, hardly messaged.

After 2 weeks he apologised, said he couldn't handle the split and that it was a mistake, that he loved me and paid for me to go there. The depression then disappeared again until about 1 month ago.

He started a new job, had really high hopes for how it would go. Some pieces he worked on did not go to plan and all of a sudden he started plummeting again. Getting depressed, not texting or calling much, etc.

Me, being anxious, has automatically gone into OH GOD mode, worried that he will think that our relationship is causing too much stress again, and will break it off. I feel neglected because he has withdrawn.

He mentioned a few weeks back how hard he found this, that he couldn't just see me whenever, and that planning for the future of me moving there felt like loads of pressure too.

As a result I have become a sad over thinker and have been too impacted by it emotionally.

In summary, I need help with how I can support him and also manage my own expectations. Understand that it's not necessarily me, and how to 'drop those thoughts'. I just love him dearly and he deserves to feel the absolute best and I desperately want him to see that.

Also, we have been talking about next year closing the gap. How do I live with someone who is depressed and not get depressed myself? How do I stop getting anxious when I feel neglected? Also, how do I make sure I don't put my own needs and feelings second always?

Advice and stories appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jacah,

I am glad you have posted and I am sorry to hear it has been a bit of a roller coaster ride for you both. People on this site will have ideas, advice and support for you.

Is your partner seeking any professional help? It is quite possible that he could reduce these bouts of depression, could you suggest the Beyond Blue phone service to him, as a place to get professional advice on what to do next?

I think a lot of your questions could be answered when you both have a clear picture of what your partner is suffering from. There are resources on this site for 'carers' and you will have a lot of support with this. I think your partner needs a mental health strategy that obviously takes everything into consideration, including your role. 

I hope that you can find some time each day to think about other positive stuff, your relationship with your partner is one part of you but there are other parts, don't forget to nurture those parts. Love to you.

Jacko 

Dark_wolf
Community Member

My story is very similar except my boyfriend lives an hour away from me and his sister refuses to have me at the house even though we've been dating for 5 years. So know that you are not alone and I hope everything works out for you both

Hello Dark_wolf, I'm sorry this is happening, do you feel like telling us any possible reasons why not.

Geoff.

Life Member.