FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Knowing how hard to push

Unsure_Support
Community Member

I've been trying to be supportive of my partner with their depression for nearly a decade now and I'm still unsure how hard to push them and when to simply support.

They themselves have told me they need a push because without it they find it too easy to fall into a rut. That staying in bed all day is easier than getting up without some kind of push/motivation. I've tried to find that right balance of pushing VS being understanding.

Over the last 2-3 years the amount of pushing I've been doing is starting to be ineffective. I don't want to push more as a past suicide attempt was prompted by feelings of failure and inadequacy, but I'm afraid letting them keep slipping will also have the same result. We use to have a 5 item task list they had to do each day so they can feel accomplished, but it's dwindled down to nearly nothing.

They've expressed that they know these are things they use to be able to do, but just can't. With Covid I'm not sure if I should be giving them the tough love they've asked me to do in the past or if that might be pushing it too far. Even when the only item on the list is to brush their hair.

They use to have a psychologist, but they were actually quite rude and not a good fit the few times I met with them for joint sessions. I actually wasn't too upset when the praticed shut because I thought it meant they'd get new help and hopefully a better perspective. That is until Covid. Now everywhere that we can afford to go to has been booked. They've been on multiple waiting lists for over a year and calling Beyond Blue just makes it worse for them because they tend to mostly get trapped in circles.

I know there likely is no real solution. No way to really be able to tell when I should push and how hard. I just wish I knew what to do to help, but shouting into the void for a bit helps me so thanks for making it this far and listening to me. If people do have advice I will be most appreciative.

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

This is a difficult topic to address for you and others as well.

There is a saying here that is used often "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink". So true in that you can provide all the facilities, the care and all the medical opportunities but at the end of the day it is the patient that has to make effort.

Then we talk about "effort". Because effort might not cover those that have no ability to make the effort. In those cases where their illness has debilitated them they need medical intervention IMO. Carers have a limited amount of input and affect on their ill partner. Certainly a carer that needs to yell and have meltdowns themselves means their influence on the patient is becoming ineffective. In that case changes have to take place.

I believe the best course of action for you is to attend a family counselor. If your partner refuses to go then attend yourself on a different basis- to learn coping strategies. There is one condition you should consider. If your partner wont go then I wouldnt tell them of any details of your meetings. If they want to know they can attend next time.

I hope that helps.

TonyWK

Sophie_M
Hi Unsure Support, 

We are sorry to hear that you and your partner are going through these calleneges right now. Suicidal ideation and depression and incredibly tough for carers to manage, it is so very draining to be supporting someone ever if we love them. It is wonderful that you have been able to reach out for support here on the forums, it must have been difficult to write this post but you never know who might read it and feel less alone in their own expereince. 

It is so hard to know how best to support someone - hopefully there is some useful information for you here - we have a set of articles that may be useufl for you. Our advice is to be gentle with yourself, it sounds like you are doing the best you can in a really tough situation.

We are sorry that a call to Beyond Blue hasn't been helpful in the past, we are always here for you if you want to speak to us and there are these wonderful organisations you can also contact if that will work better. 

Lifeline 13 11 14
Suicide Cal Back Service 1300 659 467 

We also think it could be useful for you to call Carers Australia on 1800 422 737. It is so important that you look after yourself during these times and they can help you, or just be there if you want to talk. 

This community is here for you if you need us, thank you for sharing and please feel free to drop back in an dlet us know how you are going.

Kind regards 
Sophie M