FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I need help for my wife with medication

Guest_9820
Community Member

Hello, my wife and I immigrated to Australia a year ago from Uruguay.

She suffers from depression, but at times, we were able to manage it with a psychologist and medication. Later, she stopped taking the medication and turned to yoga and meditation, and it was working, as she never had luck with psychologists; they never understood or supported her.

The issue is that moving to this country has been challenging, mainly due to the language barrier. Even though she speaks, understanding is difficult, especially under social pressure. This makes it incredibly tough for her. Moreover, for now, the only jobs she can find are in cleaning and hospitality, which brings her down a lot.

We've been married for 6 years, and I always want to help her, but I'm not the best support since many times I don't have the right words to say, and sometimes I even make it worse with misunderstood words.

These days, she reached a point where everything overwhelmed her, and she wants to take medication or something alternative to reduce her discomfort, even if only for a while. We have medical insurance,, but I don't know how things work in the country, so I'm reaching out to you to get opinions.

I want to do everything possible to make her feel better and seek this information to help her.

Thank you very much for reading everything.

4 Replies 4

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear SamCirio~

Welcome here to the Forum, a good move on your part as you may find others with similar problems and how they coped.

Before I say anything else I'd like you to realize that loving your wife is the most important thing, and finding the right words - while important - comes second. Additionally if yoga and meditation seem to help her then why not join in? She may be able ot teach you.

You have both undergone a huge strain coming to a strange country where language, customs and may other matters are different. You may also be far away from families. Trying to cope with them all is a heavy task -and it has only been one year, a short time in the overall scheme of things.

You have mentioned both of you have language difficulties, and this has not helped. Can I suggest both your wife and yourself take language classes -formal ones with a sensible itinerary, This can make a marked difference to your lives as times goes on.

In the interim until you become comfortable with English there is the Government's Translating and Interpreting Service which can be used to speak to a wide range of Government Departments and other organizations. Depending on who you wish to talk to the service may be free.

It may well be that the psychologist was no help to your wife due to cultural and language barriers.

As you may know one way is visiting a GP, getting a referral to a psychologist or psychiatrist, (possibly medication) and therapy . In addition being in a group of people who have similar problems, perhaps other migrants from Uruguay or ¿Spanish speakers? can sometimes make a person feel less isolated.

I would suggest you contact our 24/7 Help Line to see if they have any suggestions of national groups in your area and where language classes might be found

If you would like to let us know how you get on or ask more questions you will be welcome here.

Croix

Guest_9820
Community Member

Thank you for the time, I will take your advice, thanks!

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear SamCirio~

I guess there are often things worth a try. Good luck

Again you know you are always welcome here.

Croix

😥Communication is key in supporting your wife through her challenges. Even if you sometimes struggle to find the right words, showing empathy, active listening, and being there for her can make a significant difference. Let her know that you're there to support her in exploring medication or alternative options, and reassure her that seeking help is a positive step towards feeling better. Your presence and willingness to help can be a source of strength for both of you during this time.