FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

how to help my wife with health anxiety after trauma and loss

Peanut_15
Community Member

I am normally a very private person but i don't know what to do or how to help.

The backstory - Just over a year ago my beautiful wife and I were expecting our second child, i was outside building a playground with a friend when he received a call from my wife just upstairs in the house, he turned to me and said she doesn't sound good. Running into the house i found her laying on the ground in my daughters room face down repeating over and over again "somethings not right", i called the ambulance and they talked me through how to help and what to do as she got progressively worst and worst. By the time the paramedics arrived she was not longer able speak in real words, when they took over they could not find a pulse but she was still moving and gagging, when the second and third group of paramedics arrived they carried her out onto a gurney. At that point all she could muster is a hand squeeze as i said "I love you", they loaded her into the ambulance and put the lights on, i got loaded into the second ambulance, just as we were about to go her ambulance turned their lights off. She had gone into cardiac arrest, the driver of my ambulance went to help and i went completely catatonic. My driver approached me and explained what had happened and she had been revived but they were still working on her, so her lights went back on and they headed to hospital, we followed. Once at the hospital they did her C-section in 30 seconds, our son at 32 weeks was born but not breathing, i don't know how long it took before the news was coming through but she crashed and was revived two more times. They managed to revive my son but he was unresponsive, it was explained that he had to be sent to a different hospital with a NICU but he would most likely not make the trip. My son made the trip and my wife was still critical but out of surgery, She had a splenic aneurysm and her spleen had to be removed, she needed 14 units of blood. Over the coming hours i was told she would be suffering a degree of brain damage, they woke her (induced coma) the next morning and although unable to speak, she was able to write questions on paper, mentally she was OK. The next 15 days were hell as my son remained unresponsive and my wife learn to walk again, my son was brought to my wife so they could meet, my son was never going to recover and we had to take him off of the ventilator 6 days later.

Health anxiety is understandable but how do i help?

1 Reply 1

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Peanut

Welcome to bb. I'm sorry that you have had to wait so long for a response, sometimes this happens when a lot of threads come in at once.

I am so very sorry for the loss of your son. You and your wife have been through an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to you.

Your desire to help your wife is so touching, particularly as I know you are hurting too. My advice would be to just be there for each other. Hold her when she cries. Listen when she needs to talk. Sit with her in silence when she can't. Try to read her cues around intimacy, don't push but don't back away either. Love her unconditionally.

I also think that both of you would benefit from some professional support. What you're going through is beyond tough and it's okay to ask for help. Maybe start by seeing your GP to talk through the issues (make a double appointment).

If you would like to talk more about your son, your wife or how you are feeling I will be here.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers