FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Gift to show I care

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi everyone.

I am currently helping support my little sister through a long term depressive episode. She has finally agreed to start medication and seek help which is great.

I want to get her something special that she can look at when she is feeling down and remember that I care and love her. Maybe also that shows there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyone have any ideas?

She is in her late teens, but doesn't wear jewellery. Unfortunately she doesn't have a lot of interests anymore, although she used to love playing sports. She also recently moved back into our mums house so doesn't have a lot of her own space.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

6 Replies 6

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jess

You are a legend for being such a wonderful person and looking after your little sister through the pain she is going through. A depressive episode is not a good place to be in

Maybe something she would see/wear every day....like a really cool jacket....maybe? Katherine Erbe in Law & Order Criminal Intent wore a beautiful short leather jacket that is something that she may be proud of...? It even comes up on google as so many girls want to get one

A Bluetooth enabled Speaker/Headphones so she can link it to her phone....?

Just throwing some ideas around if thats okay Jess.

my kind thoughts for your sister and her well being

Paul

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jess,

I agree totally with Paul. A supportive big sister is a true gift in itself.

You mentioned she has lost hobbies and interests. What I found was if people gave me things for hobbies they sat in my cupboard and I felt guilty not using them.

I like the idea of throwing out ideas.

Mine would be give your time and company. Cajole and beg (and drag if needed) her out of the house to do things with you. Even if it is going for a walk.

If that isn't realistic or possible I always loved being given new music. One thing I always loved was the rare times my sister would visit and take me for a drive and introduce me to songs she had downloaded. She would sing in the car. I loved it.

You're a good person for your sister to have in her corner.

Nat

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jess, a wonderful idea of yours.

A list of ideas, a lava lamp, essential oils, microwave heat pad/neck pillow or a pampering kit.

Can provide more ideas if necessary.

Best wishes.

Geoff,

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Jess

My elder sister helped me to get through my depression even though she was in the UK and I am in Australia. It was also good to know my sister had been down the same road I was on and had emerged at the other end. It's stories like yours that give help.

I know what you mean about giving your sister something tangible to help her remember your love and concern and a reminder that she can tame her own black dog.

It's a pity your sister does not wear jewellery as this is something she can see and touch. Does your sister wear anything in her hair, such as a pretty band to keep a ponytail in place. Perhaps a photo of your sister and/or yourself taken when you are both smiling and happy. She could put it on her phone as wallpaper and be a constant reminder of your love and happier days before the advent of the black dog.

I like Nat's idea of going for a walk with your sister and maybe you could take a camera to snap pictures that have some meaning for you both. Whoops, I keep forgetting mobile phones have a camera in them, even better.

Does your sister wear a watch? Perhaps something like this which in general is not seen as jewellery but will remind her whenever she wants to know the time.

Thanks for telling us.

Mary

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jess334,

Oh, what a great idea!

One thing I read about recently was called 'self care kits'. You can make them for yourself or buy one and basically fill them up with feel-good things. Maybe this might be helpful for you?

Here are some things you could pop in them

- Journals/notebooks

- Photos or momentos

- Playlists

- Books (either ones she might love, self-help ones or journal prompting)

- Scented candles or anything aromatherapy

- Body lotions or anything skincare related

- Fluffy socks or clothes

- List of affirmations or compliments

- Nail polish

- Food

- A game

- Vouchers (either store ones or ones you can do yourself)

Hopefully something in here might jump out? The good thing about these is that they don't take up much space. Whatever you decide, I'm sure that she'll love it.

Thank you for being here and caring.

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Thanks for the great ideas everyone.

I love the idea of a self care kit with a few different things inside.