FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Father has anxiety

jay1998b
Community Member

Hi!

We're pretty sure my dad has anxiety (possibly also depression) and has since forever. Every time he speaks, it's always negative, and always focused on limited subjects. He has a strong idea that he is right and other people are wrong. He is never interested in anything I do unless it is study. He refuses to accept that I'm trans and walks out of family appointments with the local hospital. I think his anxiety might be influencing this. What can I do to improve my relationship with him/help him with anxiety? We used to get along great, but ever since I started high school, our relationship hasn't been so good. I don't know what I can do. Thanks!

2 Replies 2

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Jay1998b

Good on you for having the courage to write this thread. You are strong!

You being trans has nothing to do with your dad being a good parent. I am sorry that your dad has reacted the way he has to you. I have a daughter in her 20's she will always be my daughter no matter what her gender is

From what you have posted your dad has a partially closed mind which often reflects a person that has difficulty with acceptance and understanding.

You are a very caring person to ask for any information re help with anxiety (for your dad) I have included a copy & paste link regarding your question below for you Jay

www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/supporting-someone/supporting-someone-with-depression-or-anxiety

you are not alone Jay and my best for you being the proactive person you are

I really hope you can stick around the forums

Paul

Hi Jay

Thank you for sharing your story. Your love and concern for your father is really touching, especially considering that you have a lot on your own plate right now.

The fact that your father goes to the appointments at the hospital tells me he's trying. The fact that he walks out tells me he's struggling.

It's kind of a strange milestone in life when we mature and realise that our parents aren't perfect, they don't know it all and that they are just flawed humans like everybody else.

Your dad might need some more time to accept who you are. That doesn't mean that he doesn't love you. It might be helpful to try and talk to him about your feelings in family counseling. How would you feel about that?

In the meantime, just be yourself. I suspect your dad will realise that it's not your gender that matters, it's you that matters.

Love yourself, just the way you are. Kind thoughts to you. Post any time.