FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Don't know what to do

Shortie
Community Member

My daughter is married with two young children. She has bi polar and suffers badly with anxiety and depression. She is not happy in her marriage and her husband does not have a good understanding of how to help with her condition. He seems very self oriented. As her mother I am torn  between what I should do. I am scared of what she may do and I don't want to lose me daughter but I also don't want to interfere in their marriage. It is making me unwell emotionally. 

4 Replies 4

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Shortie,

Thank you for your post.

Your apprehension is very understandable. I am a parent, too, and it is a fine line between support and interfering in your adult kids' lives! Of course, the fact that it is affecting you is something you have every right to try to manage.

Have you considered using the web chat or 1300 number on this site? If that isn't your thing, why not talk to your G.P. There are options and obviously doing nothing will not get any sort of result.

Please keep posting if you can and I will keep an eye out for your posts.

Kind regards, John.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Shortie, thanks for posting this very concerning comment.

I too am worried for your daughter and by being in an unhappy marriage is only making her worse.

If her husband is very self orientated, he is most likely going to object, but then your daughter is more valuable to you than he is, and this also includes her two children.

I'm all the way with John here, your children and grand children are very important to you, so what this means is that your daughter needs to see her GP, and if this is behind her husband's back then so be it, as it sounds as though he is the type that will tell her 'to snap out of it', but this won't happen, because she's not capable of being able to do this, so that's why she needs your assistance.

If she needs to be hospitalised then you could look after the grandkids, although the husband will object to this, but we will deal with that as it happens.

Please take her to the doctors, because first of all she needs medication, and please let us know what is happening. L Geoff. x

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi again Shortie,

I am just wondering how you are going since you began this thread?

Kind regards, John.

Shortie
Community Member
It is a long time since I have written on this forum but I don't seem to have made much progress. I have recently retired due to losing interest and passion in my job. I see a psychologist however I just can't seem to shake the depression. I am a widow and very lonely even though I have lots of friends. My daughter with bipolar continues to cause me grief. I find I am withdrawing from my family as I am tired of the hurt. I feel I have nothing to live for and I am having difficulty finding a passion for myself so my I a, not so reliant on family,