FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Dialectical behavior therapy

criagh
Community Member

hi,

does anyone have any experience with Dialectical behavior therapy on?

5 Replies 5

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Criagh ☺ and everyone

Welcome to bb Criagh.

I just had a little squiz about this. I've heard about it before but was unsure what it involves.

Tagging this to hopefully learn from people about it.

All the best 🖐

Nurse_Jenn
Community Member

Hi all,

I don't have a huge amount of experience with DBT but know many people who have benefitted from the therapy. The therapy usually involves both group and individual therapy and support people who're seeking to have better emotional regulation. I have copied an introduction to DBT from a Guide I found that summarises DBT therapy quite well.

Dialectical behavior therapy, developed by Marsha Linehan (1993a, 1993b), is extraordinarily effective at helping people manage overwhelming emotions. Research shows that dialectical behavior therapy strengthens a person’s ability to handle distress without losing control or acting destructively.

A lot of people struggle with overwhelming emotions. It’s as if the knob is turned to maximum volume on much of what they feel. When they get angry or sad or scared, it shows up as a big, powerful wave that can sweep them off their feet.

If you’ve faced overwhelming emotions in your life, you know what we’re talking about. There are days when your feelings hit you with the force of a tsunami. And when that happens, it makes you—understandably—afraid to feel things because you don’t want to get swept away by your emotions. The trouble is, the more you try to suppress or put a lid on your emotions, the more overwhelming they can get.

Dialectical behavior therapy teaches four critically important skills that can both reduce the size of emotional waves and help you keep your balance when those emotions overwhelm you.

• Distress tolerance will help you cope better with painful events by building up your resiliency and giving you new ways to soften the effects of upsetting circumstances.
  • Mindfulness will help you experience more fully the present moment while focusing less on painful experiences from the past or frightening possibilities in the future. Mindfulness will also give you tools to overcome habitual, negative judgments about yourself and others.
  • Emotion regulation skills help you to recognize more clearly what you feel and then to observe each emotion without getting overwhelmed by it. The goal is to modulate your feelings without behaving in reactive, destructive ways.
  • Interpersonal effectiveness gives you new tools to express your beliefs and needs, set limits, and negotiate solutions to problems—all while protecting your relationships and treating others with respect.

Retrived from https://adoeci.com/sites/default/files/grupos/dbt-skills-workbook.pdf

I hope this helps explain DBT a bit more,

Nurse Jenn

Hi Criagh and all ☺

Jenn thanks heaps for that it was very clear.

It sounds really good I'm not surprised many get a lot of help from that.

I didn't realize until I landed thankfully here just how much effective help and knowledge there is out there to learn to manage mental health (mh).

Good days people ⚘

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Craigh, Deebi, Nurse Jenn..

I hope your all doing well..

Thank you Nurse Jenn, I’ve been keeping an eye on this thread to also find out about DBT...I have heard about it but never researched it....

Grandy....

KG82
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I started with DBT almost 4 years ago, and the skills that it has given me have significantly improved my life. It isn’t always easy going, but with practice the skills become more ingrained and easier to use in the moment when things are really tough. For me, it has been the most effective therapy, and is currently keeping me going as I support a partner (from a distance) with her own mental health issues. If there’s any more specific questions, please let me know.