FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Centrelink Sickness Allowance

supportiveother
Community Member

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had issues with their loved one applying for Centrelink. My partner suffers severe depression but at the moment also has a physical injury preventing him from working so he's applied for Sickness Allowance based on the injury and an upcoming surgery etc. However, its been five weeks since his application began and weeks since they received confirmation from his Employer that he is employed and he's been told multiple times that the application is processing but no one can give him a time frame. Without having any income he's struggling financially which puts a strain on myself because I do help him out but also because I can see how much its affecting his mental health that he has to rely on other people for food etc.

I guess my question is if anyone else had to deal with this and how long it took your loved one to start receiving payments etc.

Thanks,

M x

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello M, thanks for posting your comment but I'm not sure I can provide the answers you are looking for but will try.

Any payment will be backdated to when the application was lodged.

I would be contacting your local member by letter, email or in person demanding but in a pleasant way for answers.

Another option is contact Vinnies, Salvos for food vouchers and I would be contacting Anglicare, they have contacts and can provide you with some relief, food as well as financial assistance, I know personally as they helped me enormously.

I realise his sickness allowance is important but can I also suggest that he books an appointment with his doctor.

Geoff.

Thanks for the response Geoff and the ideas!

He is currently being treated for depression etc and seeing his doctor and psychologist as regularly as the public health system allows, but thank you for your concern!

We have emailed our local MP and will follow up with a phone call, it just seems as though its been a very long time but I guess thats Centrelink for you.

Thank you,

M