FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Can mania make you think you are gay?

Trixiegum
Community Member

My bipolar spouse told me he was gay, because he believed that's what others thought he was. He has since told me he is not. I'm wanting to know if any have had experienced this or know someone that has experienced this in Bipolar? Or is it more likely that he outed himself and regretted it later?

3 Replies 3

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Trixiegum,

I mentioned before that when one is manic one has racing thoughts that can be very complicated. I questioned many things and when manic did experiment sexually as I felt very impulsive and sexual.

I think it is interesting that he believed he was gay because that's what others thought he was. Would that be part of a manic delusion ?

It is very difficult to make generalisations as mania affect everyone differently.

Quirky

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Trixiegum

As I said before, I have not heard of anyone becoming/believing they were gay because of their bipolar. There may be other reasons he came to this conclusion. Quirky has commented on one of these. The manic part of the illness can lead people to think and do all sorts of things which when they are more rational they would be astounded to learn.

It may be the way he acted which led others to assume he was gay.The problem with this is that I do not know if gay men behave in a certain fashion which demonstrates their sexual preference. It seems on occasions that when someone acts out of character others will assume it's because they are gay. Yes I know it's unlikely and completely illogical but people do have strange ideas about mental illness in general. However he may have been asked, for whatever reason, which has made him think this may be true. It may be because he sees himself as a different person in a manic episode and that leads him to wonder about his sexual preference.

I am only guessing here, much the same as you. The best way to find out is to ask the psychiatrist when you next see him/her. Even if it is only a wild guess there is probably something that needs to be sorted out. And it may well have nothing to do with homosexuality.

Now the idea has been put in your head may I ask if this bothers you in any way? I suppose it is possible he has 'outed' himself but felt this was not a good piece of information to pass on. I'm sorry not to be more helpful on this topic. It is one out of left field.

I think you were going to have some counselling for yourself. If so it would be an ideal place to ask these questions.

Mary

Just Sara
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi and welcome Trixiegum;

I'm glad you've come here to ask this important question; we're only too happy to help as Quirky and Mary have.

I hear fear in your words; mainly 'loss'. Are you afraid of losing your husband or the life you thought you had? It's totally understandable if you do.

When people comment about issues while they're 'not well', it needs to be clarified when they're back to a reasonable level of rationality. You've done this, but are still affected by doubt.

A manic mind doesn't have patience to filter or understand irrational thoughts in the moment. It's one after the other; damage control happens afterwards. I don't know how many times I've had to do this.

Taking his mates aside to ask them why they made such comments could help considerably. There's no point discussing something with hubby that came from someone else; their reasons are in their minds. It makes sense to approach the source.

I hope I've helped hun;

Sez