FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

At a lose..

CharityHope
Community Member

Hi everyone am new on here so bear with me please if my post is abit long.. For the last 3 years my husband and I have been dealing with our son who from what we have experienced.. Depression.. Anxiety.. And irrational thoughts.. I say from what we have experienced because no matter how many times we have seeked help for him he comes away saying " oh there is nothing wrong with me " so we're not really sure exactly what the problem is.. Of lately his thoughts have been irrational.. He even admited the other day that he was having trouble falling asleep because of the voices in his head when I approached the matter with him he said I never said that.. 3 yrs ago his relationship with the mother of his son broke down and it has affected him even though he isn't saying that it has.. He got on the Amphetamines and had a drug induced psychosis on us were he was admitted to the Mental Health Ward at our local hospital.. He had a weekend stay ( went in on a Friday night came out Monday) no follow up was required nor medication.. He had another relapse a few months later again we took him to see a doctor to get on a mental health plan but he refused to participate and because he is over the age of 18 there is nothing we can do.. He is off the amphetamines and has been for the last year and a half which is good.. But has alcohol abuse.... We have spoken with him pleaded with him begged him to get help to speak with someone to help him take the edge off but he won't.. He still insist that there is nothing wrong with him.. We are at a lose my beautiful son is slowly slipping away from me and I have no idea how to approach the matter with him.. Has anyone else gone and experiencing this and can offer advise on how to deal with it or have any suggestions on how to approach the matter from a different angle.. Thank you..

2 Replies 2

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi CharityHope,

Welcome tot he community on the forum. I am sorry to read about your son and the issues you understandly feel he is experiencing.

It can be very difficult to get someone to admit they have a problem or issue when it comes to mental health. If a person had a broken leg, they would be more conscious of gaining help. Unfortunately depression and mental health issues are still a stigma to a lot of people.

As a person suffering from mental health issues, I don't always like admitting what I am experiencing. It is hard. I sometimes think I should be stronger than this. That is not the case! This is an illness that needs attention and assistance.

Maybe for now all you can do for a while is support your son, be there for him, watch him, let him know he can talk to you and then maybe in time ask him again if he will seek some assistance.

If you are really concerned for his safety you can call 000 and ask for help.

You may be able to encourage him top take a look at symptoms for depression and anxiety on the computer and see if he can relate to those.

Unfortunately we don't always seek the help we need nor listen to the people who are trying to help us.!

I may not have given you much advice, maybe a glance at life on the other side of depression might help you to understand the issues your son is facing.

The Beyond Blue web site has a lot of information on depression and anxiety. Some of that may be helpful to you.

I hope your son will be open to receiving help!

Cheers from Dools

Thanks Dools for the response.. I did read on hear about letting them read some info on mental health and how it would relate to them.. ATM.. I'm afraid that he would not even look at it.. I suppose Timeand patience is my friend.. Sadly yes there is a stigma attached to it.. I have a younger brother and sister who are both schizophrenic they have been for just over 20 years as their nephew there was always respect for who they are.. Sometimes I think that maybe he doesn't want to think he has something going on or he may seem to be like his uncle??? IDK.. We have taken him to 3 different doctors.. A private Psychologist as well but all in vain.. At least he agreed to do that for us.. But I'm not going to give up.. Will educate myself again on mental illnesses and approach the subject sometime in the near future..