FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

8yr old with anxiety

EsmeEsme
Community Member
My daughter is having some anxiety ATM, she is being bullied by a few of her classmates. I also found 'I hate myself' carved/written on her bed frame. Has any other mums experienced this? I'm a bit lost what to do.
8 Replies 8

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Esme and welcome,

how awful for your daughter and I can feel your suffering too. Have you actually spoken to your daughter ie will she open up to you? I would suggest speaking to her school/teachers. They should be good with keeping an eye on things and dealing with the culprits. At that age the bullies are probably not aware of the effect it is having on your daughter and they need to be dealt with and their parents made aware also.

hope this helps and you can get your daughter feeling well again.

cmf

Sophie_M

Hi EsmeEsme, welcome to the forums.

The pages below from our Healthy Families website contain information that you may find useful:

Dealing with bullying

Managing emotions

Good luck and best wishes.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello EsmeEsme

Thankyou for writing such an important post that effects so many children (and parents too of course)

I am a dad and my daughter was writing the same at 10. I understand where you are coming from Esme

CMF and Sophie_M have great help above including active links to help you and your daughter

You are more than welcome to post back if you wish and let us know your thoughts

My kind thoughts for you and your daughter in this difficult period

Paul

K3t77
Community Member

Hi EsmeEsme!

I know how you are feeling, my 8 year old son is also suffering from anxiety, due to medical history and previously bullying, not just by kids but also adults. He often hits himself and calls himself stupid or he hates himself. When he gets frustrated/angry about things, he often says to me "Mummy please help me, I can't control my anger" so I am trying breathing exercises with him. He gets very anxious when I leave him at home with my sister, so I can go to work, which I then feel guilty about leaving him. He doesn't trust anyone else but me. He won't tell anyone else when he is feeling unwell, he'll wait all day until I pick him up from school and tells me. I can see in his face how unhappy he is, he use to be such a happy, carefree little boy, but over the months, I can see how unhappy he is and it's breaks my heart. For Christmas I am buying him "A Worry Plaque" from a company called "The Irish Fairy Door Company", I am hoping this will help with his anxiety.

I am also a bit lost and worried for him

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi K3t77 (sorry to hijack your thread EsmeEsme)

Welcome to the forums and thankyou for having the courage to post too!

My daughter also used to be the same at 8 too.....unhappy and only trusting me like your son is which I wasnt happy with as a dad.

Sophie_M ( Community Moderator) posted above with two active links that may be of assistance to you

My Best Wishes

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello EsmeEsme, I'm so sorry that your daughter has been bullied at school, especially at such a young age, and obviously it's a great worry to you.
I'd also like to welcome K3t77 as well, and I believe that that the schools are taking this issue with great concern so please google this 'bullying at junior school' as well as 'strategies to respond to bullying', they are aren't big sites but they maybe able to help you.
I also believe that you should visit your doctor where they may suggest ringing Reachout and/or Headspace, these are people who are trained to talk with the younger generation and also older kids, so please give a ring even before you visit your doctor. Geoff.

CMF
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

There is an organisation in Melbourne called 'Bully Zero Foundation'. They are not for profit and go around to schools and workplaces giving talks on bullying, the different types and how it affects people. The gave a talk at my daughters school, just need to contact them to organise. Not sure if the go interstate. They have wonderful ambassadors like high profile sports people, comedians who will share their own stories.

hope this helps. It breaks me heart to hear of young children suffering like this.

cmf x

K3t77
Community Member

Afternoon Everyone!

Thank you for the suggestions, I will be looking into them all. I just want to see my son happy again.

EsmeEsme, hope things settle soon for your daughter.

Kind Regards

Katie.