FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Would you and how to tell your GP you self harm?

LJpd81
Community Member

Recently I have been self harming. Im not sure if I'm allowed to say how though. Should I tell my doctor? And if I do , how do I tell her? She is quite approachable and lovely. The idea of telling her that I S/H, fills me with so much anxiety! How do I blurt that out? What would she do? I already am booked for 6 psychologist appointments and I have written it down as one of my reasons for attending. Any advice please?

Thanks very much.

210 Replies 210

LJpd81
Community Member

Yes I did manage real smiles today with customers. Was hard as I admit that I did S/h again at work in a break. A5 times I feel empty and I hope it makes me feel better. I know it's wrong and I should stop. Something is terribly wrong in my head.

The more I think about it, I feel I need to tell my GP. It's not normal.

My friend knows and I have told her today I did it. She's very worried about me me and now keeps asking if I'm ok.

LJpd81
Community Member
Just to be clear, I will never do anything worse. I'm just having a hard time.

LJpd81
Community Member
I do hope you are ok too and thank you

Rupes79
Community Member
I would not. Had a bad experience telling a medical professional I was suicidal. Never again.

LJpd81
Community Member
I hope you're ok. Hope things are ok for you now

Rupes79
Community Member
Yes fine now. Was years ago. Thanks for caring.

LJpd81
Community Member
You're welcome. I'm glad you are ok and thank you for telling me.

Harpbird
Community Member
I am the same LJ, I would never want not wake up the next day. I suppose SH was my relief. Being in so much constant pain and to look at me you wouldn’t think anything was wrong with me . I did tell my GP that after SH I had a reason for my pain. So once we get on top of it again I may be ok.
keep us posted how you go.

LJpd81
Community Member

Thanks heaps. I was talking to my best friend just now and I realise I have a problem. She wants me to promise her no matter if early hours of morning, that I will sms or ring her. But I can't. She was saying don't do it.  I'm crying as I write this. I haven't tonight but I want to.

I don't want to worry my best friend, but she's already worried. 😭

Hey LJpd81,

Thanks for continuing to reach out tonight and share your thoughts with us. It sounds as though you have a really supportive friend who cares a lot for you.

We would recommend you talk these thoughts through with a counsellor. There are always counsellors available via phone or webchat for your most difficult moments. Some of these 24/7 services include Lifeline on 13 11 14 / (online chat available 7pm-12am) or our own Support Service. We can be reached 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or on email and Webchat (3pm-12am AEST) through our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport . Please know that we are all here to support you. Our Support Service is trying to reach out to you via email as we are worried about you. We hope you'll be in touch soon.