FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What to do if your parents display family violence

successisajourney
Community Member

Hi,

I am studying Year 11 in VIC. I am an Australian citizen and have moved to a lot of countries since I was born. I have had a pretty rough and rocky childhood, which includes sexual abuse and family violence. 

Being a girl from an Indian Background who completely had to believe and obey my parents' orders every second of my life I moved to AUS in 2021. 

I have a previous history of self-harm, suicidal thoughts, attempting suicide, mental health diagnosis (BPD - Boderline Personality Disorder), physical health problem such as right ankle tibia fracture due to sucide attempt, skin graft because of potential risks of developing cancer on the surged area (right leg - metal plates and screws placed on 01 Sep 2021), a major accident - 2 days extreme verge of homelessness due to my mother's ruthless actions towards me (i fell down the same day at school - fainted and experienced seizures in which I had hitv my head, leg and arm multiple times which might have resulted the metal plates in my right ankle to twist making it difficult for me to walk now, my head is in a bad state - by which I mean that it is constantly stinging and aching, my left wrist is undergoing horrible pain at the moment as well. 

The most important thing I wanted to convey is that my concern for my safety. I do not feel safe at home as I am scared that I might involve myself in sucide attempts due to too much accumulation of stress. 

I do not access to mobile which makes it harder for me to get support... 

Please advice me what to do now as I have a stable Internent Connecttion and a smart device. 

I convey my deepest gratitude to everyone reading this and have replied to my post.

NOTE: CHANGE IS INEVITABLE AND I AM DEEPLY SORRY TO WHOEVER THAT MAY BE MENTALLY DISTURBED BY THIS POST...

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi successisajourney,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums. It was so brave of you to reach out here. We can hear you've been through some incredibly difficult things, and are not feeling safe right now. Thank you for letting us know about this. 

Our team have reached out to you privately. We would like to talk this through with you, if you could please connect with us directly via Webchat, here: Beyond Blue Webchat Support Service

If you feel unable to keep yourself from acting on your thoughts about self-harm, this is an emergency, and you need to get some support straight away. You can get crisis support online from Lifeline right here: Lifeline Crisis Chat

If you do not need immediate support, we’d suggest reaching out to Kids Helpline. They offer free phone counselling services 24/7 or you could also contact that via email or webchat through their website: Kids Helpline

Here's a number for each of those services in case you do get access to a phone: 
  • Beyond Blue are available on 1300 22 4636
  • Lifeline are on 13 11 14
  • Kids Helpline are on 1800 55 1800
  • If life is in danger, this is an emergency, and you need to call 000 (triple zero)
We hope that you find our forums to be a safe and supportive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. We’re here for you, successisajourney, thanks so much for reaching out.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello successisajourney, I feel so sorry that you have had all of this happen to you, because no one should ever have to cope with situations like, because what it does is make you feel very unstable and someone who is in year 11 should not have to go through any of this.

I realise that your naturality has the potential to control what your parents want, but there does become a limit as to what is reasonable and what you shouldn't have to do, especially after you have had to go through way too much.

You need to check with your GP whether or not you have epilepsy because of these seizures and a blood test will indicate this.

As you don't feel comfortable being at home, then discuss this with your GP and you can go to them by yourself if you are 16 years old, and your parents don't need to be told.

Sophie has provided you with some important links, which may help you decide where you are able to live.

Please let us know.

Geoff.

Life Member.