FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Surviving, but only just

Clarkie2000
Community Member

Anyone feel like they can’t go on but don’t want to leave either? Life is tough, seems to be getting tougher and tougher. Struggling with repeated thoughts, anxiety and disrupted sleep. 

Hope everyone is having a beautiful clear day.

3 Replies 3

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

Thank you for sharing some of your story... to be vulnerable and share in a space like this takes courage!

It sounds like you're really going through it right now. I can't imagine how exhausting and discouraging it must feel with everything that is going on for you.

Even though things are incredibly hard, the fact that you're still holding on shows how resilient you are deep down. Please be gentle with yourself and take it one moment at a time.

If I may ask ... are you getting any support? family or friends? professional support? Someone who you feel that you can trust to talk to, to support and journey with you at this time.

Listening...

Relic_Girl
Community Member

Yes I completely understand. Too many years of depression. My resilience to life, to depression, to everything seems to get thinner over time. I have all the tools, use them fairly consistently, still feel awful. I wonder what the answer is or when it will get better. For me, living where I do, getting psychological assistance is extremely tough. Don't know where to start as even the GP can't recommend good help. 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Clarkie2000

I truly feel for you, with you going through such an overwhelmingly challenging time in your life. I'm so glad you came here to a place where people can relate to what it feels like to be living with depression. While each person's experience with depression is unique, there are definitely some relatable factors.

It's tough, to say the least, when you want to leave but feel like you can't go. I've found it to the the 'I just can't keep living like this' factor. How to successfully live with depression or even raise yourself out of it is skillful on both parts. For a start, I've found it can take a massive amount of detective work when it comes to finding clues or answers to some or all of the following questions

• Why do I feel the way I do? What are all the contributing factors, not just the obvious ones?
  • Who exactly do I need to guide me through this (the best and most effective guide/s) who can help shed some light
  • How can I gain a better sense of direction while feeling so unbelievably lost?

Just a few of the many questions that can come with depression.

If I'd have listened to the advice given to me when I was much younger, I don't think I would have come to see depression the way I do now. The advice was 'You are someone who's most likely prone to depression and will possibly experience it in some form for the rest of your life'. Have to say that was one of the most depressing things anyone's ever said to me. On the other hand I've learned I can simply feel what's depressing. It's a horrible ability (putting it mildly) but an ability nonetheless. Might sound a bit silly but it's a part of my 'compass' which points to 'things going south'. Based on past experience, I know I have the ability to feel the depressing nature of a serious b12 deficiency, sleep apnea, miscarriage, marriage breakdown, depressing belief systems, inner dialogue and not enough energy input which to feel life with. I have the ability to feel when I'm dealing with a depressing lost sense of self (a strange and heartbreaking sense of grief), lack of direction and vision, lack of guidance, lack of life skills. The list goes on. I can feel on a physical level (chemical deficiency like with b12, dopamine etc), a mental level (depressing belief systems) and a soulful level (a lost soulful sense of self). What all have in common involve the seriously low and depressing energy levels. How to do life when you can't feel life running through you? The seriously low energy levels that come with depression can be amongst the top challenges, for sure.

While I've employed some brilliant 'detectives' in the past, who have helped me make perfect sense of what I'm feeling, I've also employed some absolute shockers who've left me to figure things out for myself (some GPs included). Do you have anyone in your life to help you get to the bottom of things, helping you work out exactly what it is you're feeling? Could involve a collection of factors. Anyone to help you find your 'true north'?