FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Suicidal thought

Always_in_pain
Community Member
Hi, 3 weeks ago I attempted suicide, I was at the beach at night and just started walking and kept walking, the next thing I remember is being at the hospital. I'm waiting for a room to come available at a hospital for mental health and still having thoughts, 4 years ago I had a work place accident and have been in pain every day and night, I can't handle the pain any more I've been on that many medications but nothing is working all they do is make me hear voices and see things that aren't really there. Thanx for listening
3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear Guest 1402, 

We’re so grateful to have you reach out to our community this morning and are so sorry to hear everything you have going on at the moment. Times like this can definitely get overwhelming . We hope that you find our forums to be a safe and supportive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. Our community is here for you. 

Our Support Service is trying to reach out to you via email as we're worried about you. 
We hope you know that there is always help available to you, whether it's from our professional mental health counsellors Beyond Blue (available 24/7/365 on 1300 22 4636) or our friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467).
Keep checking back in with us whenever you feel up to it. 

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Always in pain~

I'd like to join Sophie_M in welcoming you here. Her suggestions are pretty good, and being in contact with her can really help

As you have found out getting a second reply here can take a long time. That is not usual, and is nothing to do with you , or the things you are talking about, it is simply the system does not work as we would like sometimes -a real pain.

To feel ignored would simply have made matters worse for you, it might have seemed like nobody cared. Actually we do, given the chance.

I can relate both to trying to taking one's life and being in pain, though unlike you my suicidal matters were a result of PTSD, depression and anxiety from my job, the pain came a lot later in life due to a spinal condition.

It is a real worry to not remember what happened and waking up in hospital, it leaves so much uncertainty as to what you might do again -and that can be very frightening. I was frightened even though I knew what I'd been doing.

OK, you may get into hospital, a psych ward, and I found it helped - not pleasant but it took me away from life and gave me peace. You're situation is different in that you have the pain to contend wiht and, if I might offer some advice, please ensure that they treat you for both your mental state AND the pain.

As you are only too aware they are linked together. To be overwhelmed by inescapable constant pain, trapped by it, is a huge thing and the medical team needs to keep plugging away until at least some partial relief is found. As I'm sure you are aware there are pain clinics which do nothing else. Perhaps you might get into one, do you think that is possible.

I'm lucky in that mostly it is not too bad, though have been hospitalized for it (pain now, not suicidal matters as before). The medications used there put pain on one side and me almost a spectator, a sort of relief, but not practical except on the ward. As things stabilized discharged back to the same usual grind.

I guess I have some techniques that help me, I do not know if they will help you.

For the suicidal thoughts -company. Even if you have not explained what is in your mind just being with another can make a real difference. Do you have friends or family who you can be with when you need it, even if they just talk normally and are not in your confidence?

Running out of space so will be brief though this is important. I can loose myself in things I enjoy and take my mind away.

Will have to explain more another time

Croix

M2
Community Member

Hi Always in pain,

This sounds so difficult. Please continue to reach out and reply to this thread and let us know how you are doing. You have value and I'm worried about you.

I'm also experiencing some issues and would love to discuss how you are feeling further.