FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

strong urges

Tamrby
Community Member
i have been clean for almost 2 months now, im super proud of myself, but after not really thinking about it for days I will randomly get really strong urges? AAh i know its probably normal but its really not fun, anyone got any tips to deal with urges?
43 Replies 43

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Tamrby, you should be very proud of yourself, if you are able to give us a bit more information of what you've stopped this may then be able for us to help you along, because that's what we want to do for you.

Take care.

Geoff.

Here2Talk
Community Member

Hi Tamrby,

I agree with Geoff, a little more information would be great. Two months is no small feat. If you feel comfortable, what substance have you been clean from for two months? And do you have support in your life - eg family, friends, partner?

Tamrby
Community Member
hey, sure I have stopped sh, its something I've been trying to stop for a while

Tamrby
Community Member
hey, I guess I do have friends but I don't like to dampen the mood too much and my parents are aware of my SH but they don't really understand so it's like im talking to a brick wall

Here2Talk
Community Member
Right... I understand. How long have you been experiencing these problems?

Tamrby
Community Member
uh about a year now, and im trying to manage it but its been difficult, i was seeing someone, but not sure I want to go back, getting help from the school councillors never made me feel better and my parents are lowkey against therapy, they'd rather I talk to them but I get ignored if I'm in a bad mood, so getting mixed signals

Here2Talk
Community Member
I’m so sorry to hear that. Often people from the generation before us like us to solve problems their way, and are distrustful of therapy and medicines. Back in my days I saw a school guidance counsellor and found it useless. Then at uni I saw a uni counsellor, and that was better. Then a clinical psychologist and that was better still. Nowadays it’s get more anxiety than depression. Is talking to a professional something that you want to do? How old are you by the way? you must still be of high school age?

Tamrby
Community Member
hello, and thank you for answers, yes im currently in highschool I'm in year ten, I turn 16 soon and move to a new school as after year ten my school places us in another school for year eleven and twelve, perhaps I should see help there? I don't know how long I can do this alone.

Tamrby
Community Member
I don't even care if its a professional, just an adult who I can trust would do, but as I stated earlier my parents arent ones to let me talk about me issues in a caring manner, they either force me to when I don't want to or when I do start speaking to them, they just aren't much help