FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Still struggling here

qqshadow
Community Member

I thought I shook off the thought but here I am again.

The trigger was so small.

Tonight we went out for dinner and the food was disappointing.

I tried not to let it get to me but after coming back I couldn’t help thinking of hurting myself. I know I wouldn’t do it but the thought makes me so disgusted like it was real.

Why is it so hard to control my mind?

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hi  qqshadow,

We are sorry to hear you are having these thoughts. We understand that this can be very distressing and overwhelming. Please remember you are not alone - there is always help available. We encourage you reach out to Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline 13 11 14 tonight for some further support. The community will also be here to listen and chat with you.

In the event that you are feeling like hurting yourself, it is important that you take immediate steps to keep yourself safe. You can do this by:
• Speaking to your doctor or psychologist (if you have one) if he or she is available right now
• If, however, you feel unable to keep yourself safe this is an emergency and you need to call 000 (triple zero).

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Qqshadow, trigger points can happen when you least expect them to happen, and it may not be one particular thought that can set you off but a series of them that only accumulate and the least can chain react the rest of your thoughts.

Being susceptible before you even go out could be the start, even before you know it and it only takes a small trigger to set them out off and you can only control your mind when you've had help to understand these trigger points and their consequences so you learn that they won't affect you.

If you are seeing someone to cope with these, you could try and write them down, then you can approach each individual, the pros and cons of knowing when they may surprise you and then how to cope with them.

It's so difficult to overcome this by yourself because you tend to avoid the hard decisions, so if you could talk to your doctor, they will set up a plan to help you.

Geoff.

Sophie_M
Hey qqshadow,

Our team would love to reach out to you privately. Would you mind getting in touch with us here to make sure your email address is up to date?

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi qqshadow,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand that horrible intrusive thoughts can be hard to deal with.

Have you been able to speak to a health professional about the way you feeling and the type of thoughts you are having?

Have you ever tried meditation?

I did meditation as part of of my therapy it taught me that I’m not my thoughts but the watcher of my thoughts.