FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Self harm

Ava-Matthews
Community Member
Hey umm I feel like self harming but I really don't want to since I'm 2 weeks clean. 
6 Replies 6

Sophie_M
Hey Ava-Matthews,  

Thank you for your bravery and openness in sharing here. We can understand how difficult it must be to feel this way, please be kind to yourself and know that it's an incredible achievement to have dealt with these feelings for 2 weeks. You have shown great strength and we thank you for reaching out.

Is there anyone that you feel able to discuss this in person with? We’re reaching out to you privately to check you’re ok. In the meantime, we’d encourage you to give the Beyond Blue counsellors a call on 1300 22 4636 or speak to them on webchat here

If you’re feeling suicidal or are having thoughts about harming yourself, it's important that you take immediate steps to keep safe. That might mean connecting with existing supports, following a safety plan, or you could connect with Lifeline on 13 11 14. If you feel unable to keep yourself from acting on your thoughts about suicide or self-harm this is an emergency, and you need to call 000 (triple zero).  

We hope that you find our forums to be a safe and supportive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. Our community is here for you, and we’re sure they’ll spot your post soon enough and have some kind words and understanding for you.  

Kind regards,  

Sophie M 

indigo22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Ava,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out to us.

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way, I would like to support you so is there anything you feel comfortable talking about? The fact that you are 2 weeks clean is a great achievement, so let's try for 2 weeks and one day.

We are here for you,

indigo

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

I'm proud of you for going 2 weeks clean from self-harm. I know how difficult it is and how strong the urges can feel at times. Try to remember that the urge will pass, even if it doesn't feel like it right now. My psychologist recommended an app to me to called calm harm which I have found useful.

Listening.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hell Dear Ava-Mathews,

I would also like to welcome you to our forums…

I am so deeply sorry that your feeling like self harming yourself….Sweetheart we are all so very proud of you for being free of this for 2 weeks….Well done Ava…I know how hard you’ve worked at staying clean for 2 weeks, I used to self harm, it’s been over 3 years for me….Distracting my thoughts asap when I first feel the urge to….Our minds can only think of one thought at a time, by distracting that self harming thought onto something else, like singing out loud to a song you like….has helped me…Talking to the Beyond Blue counsellors, that Sophie_M has given you is another way, along with the other contact numbers she has written in her post to you….

Ava, do you have something that you are passionate about, something that you enjoy doing?….

We are all for you, to help support you the best we can…Talk here anytime you feel up to it, I really hope that you come back and let us know how you’re doing today….we do care about you…

Thinking of you Dear Ava, with kindness and care….

Grandy…..

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Two weeks clean is quite an accomplishment. For what it's worth I recommend distraction at every opportunity. I have self harms once in my life but have had numerous "events" that upset me, usually from not living up to peoples expectations. So what I do is move, yep walk even a few metres to the verandah or porch better still walk around the block. 

You might see bees collecting nectar, birds, talk to an old person gardening... anything can happen on a walk. Once I passed a house and an old lady struggled carrying her groceries inside, once I helped her I felt much better.

Having a purpose in our daily life is great, we just have to "move" to help ourselves find them.

All the best and thankyou for posting.

PETAL POWER    

On your saddest day

You take a daisy flower

You pick petal for each of your woes

And count them by the hour

And when they become a stem

And petals line the floor

Gather them up in your loving arms

Put them in your store

When you enter spirit land

It be snowing like Daisy Dell

Flowers thrown in celebration

By faces you can tell

Then you throw your own

And you will include the stems

Cause that’s what bound these petals together

A meaning to and end

A simple daisy flower

Messages you can’t ignore

A petal for each of your woes

Are littering the floor

So on your saddest days

You take a daisy flower

Feel free to pick a petal for each of your woes

And count them by the hour

TonyWK

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hey Ava-Matthew.... just checking in to see if you are still about? And how you are going?