FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My inner demons are winning

PocketRocket88
Community Member

TW Suicidal ideations and urges

here we are once again, waking up feeling like crap then to have my inner demons shouting like hell inside my head… no one truly understand the feeling that one goes thru in moments like this… so let me tell describe what or how I’m feeling when I’m struggling…

More than often it’s starts with feeling anxious upon waking up. When I say anxious, it means im abit on the edge that it’s like there’s an immediate threat towards myself. Some of the time it settles down when I fully wake up which can last upto 2hrs upon waking up. If it doesn’t, then my demons starts waking up. When I say demons, it’s the suicidal ideations in my head. Not long after they wake up comes the urge to act on it… the urge is like an itch or pressure inside me, if you scratch it(act on the thought) I feel some relief but the downside is that if wanna keep doing it just to relieve that pressure. If I don’t act on the thought, they will go for a little bit but comes back 10x worse than the last which means it just keeps building up until I can’t handle it anymore.., and more than often I I’d give in to just feel some relief. Then it start all over again during the day… I can go many cycles (short intervals) in a day but sometimes I only get a few long cycles which is worse than having little ones…

I do feel ashamed of what I’m doing to myself specially when people knows about it. Hence I try to keep to myself which then brings the isolation… which leads to loneliness then lead to an attempt… 

I currently feel that I’m in the brink of really giving in to these demons in my head… work can just keep me safe for 8hrs but after that? It’ll be hard to not act on the urge… I live alone and coz I’ve distanced myself from people including my family , that no one will think or wonder if I’m okay or not. Perfect setting for the ending of a sad story, my story.

40 Replies 40

Sophie_M
Hi PocketRocket88

Thank you for this really raw, insightfully deep and honest post.

We're here for you. We won't interfere with your thread, but we've reached out to you privately. Please check your inbox.

Please call 000 (triple zero), or present to your nearest hospital emergency department if this becomes an emergency.

To call us, contact 1300 22 4636
To use webchat, Click Here 
Lifeline 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467

We're all available 24/7. All calls and chats are one-on-one with a trained mental health professional and completely confidential.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi PocketRocket88,

Im so sorry you are feeling this way I understand it’s hard.

Its so hard when we feel as though we are being shouted at from the inside, it can feel very overwhelming.

Im sorry you have been isolating yourself, is there any one you would feel comfortable opening up to?  A friend or family?

I understand things are feeling tough right now but you will get through this hold onto hope because it will keep you moving forward.

If you are feeling this is an emergency please follow Sophie Ms instructions.

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi PocketRocket88

The demons of depression are insidious things. For some people, they don't notice them until they really get going. For others, they wake up with them every morning, which is so cruel.

I can relate to how you describe the depression you face. For myself, I'd described it in the past as like having some nasty hideous little creature perched upon my shoulder, day in and day out. It would spend almost all day whispering far from sweet nothings into my ear, unless I was distracted. You know the drill. At it's easiest to cope with 'You're hopeless' through to the more severe (when I'd hit the absolute depths on occasion) 'You're hopeless at life. You may as well give up now. There's just more suffering ahead and you know you won't be able to cope with it', it was relentless. This imaginary creature didn't just whisper. It was as though there was this long dark cloak that it held in place from firmly around my neck. All the words that had become pinned to it over time were the words I fully believed described me. Words like hopeless, loser, useless, worthless, lazy, angry, control freak and so on. So, in 2 ways the impact was there - the internal dialogue and the beliefs (the labels).

I still recall the day I came out of that 15 or so years in depression. What it felt like was...the cloak had fallen to the ground and I felt, for the first time since I was born, naked with nothing to describe or define me and the creature was gone, finally gone.

I believe the analogy of nasty little creatures or demons helps in some way, for with this way we can imagine them/depression as being separate from us. They/it does not define us. While depression, with the worst of intrusive thoughts, can feel like a part of us, seeing it as separate in this way can give us the freedom to consider battle strategies with which to win the battle against that which comes to us in such tormenting ways.

Btw, JK Rowling's 'Dementors' in the Harry Potter books/movies were created based on her experience with depression.

PocketRocket88
Community Member

TW REALLY STRONG SUICIDAL THOUGHTS AND URGES 

another day, same crap… woke up all anxious and seemed to be spacing out (staring blankly from afar) but my brains or my ‘inner demons’ kept taking to that place I’ve been trying to not go to… my inner demons are always working on plans or ways to not just hurt myself but to actually end things… and believe me , what’s it’s coming up with are pretty easy to do and Chas a high chance of being the one that’ll end this… I’m at work for the next 8hrs which will somehow keep me busy but in terms of safety? That’s a question I can’t answer coz knowing my inner demons and subconscious mind anything can happen, both good or bad… hop that nothing would happen.. the thoughts are very loud in my head and the urge is damn strong that to keep it at bay will be really tough…

Hi PocketRicket88,

I strongly encourage you to seek professional help ASAP, you can be helped and these thoughts can lift for you in time with the correct professional help.

PocketRocket88 don’t give into these demons you are so much stronger than them.

Believe in the light, seek it and you will find it….. it’s inside of YOU!

Look around you at all the beauty in world really look at it……… move outside of your mind and really put your attention on the beautiful things in this world they are there waiting for you to acknowledge them.

You are the LIGHT………..

LIGHT will always defeat the darkness you just need to make the conscious decision to focus all of your attention on the light when your mind tries to take you back to dark firmly redirect it onto the light.

You CAN do this.

I know the fight is very real and it’s a fight you WILL win! 

DO NOT GIVE UP 💪

We are here with you your not alone please come back to us..

These inner demons seemed to be consuming me bit by bit... Every turn leads me to that spot and I can't seem to get out of it... I'm in a whole lot of trouble even whilst at work...

I understand it’s hard I really do all the mind wants to give is negative…. It’s hard and you need to start driving the ship from the inside.

YOU are in your body YOU ARE! You are not your mind….. our mind is separate to who we are.

Your mind isn’t in control YOUR in control.

Hit back with positive thoughts…. YOU get to do that.

If it comes back negative, then throw  back positive.

You are STRONG 

You are BRAVE 

You are a WARRIOR 

Put those demons back in their  box.

You CAN !

PocketRocket88 again I strongly encourage you to seek professional help ASAP.

You are important.

I understand it’s very overwhelming when our minds take us to that spot….. with the correct professional help this can lift for you.

When you are in that spot gently bring your attention out of your mind and onto  something positive in the present moment.

Put your attention on your breath follow it use it as your anchor, when your mind wonders again bring it back to your breath.

Put your attention on your feet … how do they feel in your shoes ..even take them off how does the ground feel under your feet?

Hang in there and breath 

Sorry this should have read … put those demons back in their box.