FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mood switching up

emau
Community Member

My life has been great recently, but I feel numb to it all. I'm struggling with difficult thoughts at the moment, and don't know how to cope. I feel like I'm faking all of my feelings but at the same time they're so so real. My thoughts change hour by hour, I can appear fine and just being kinda disconnected and then it'll switch into suicide mode really fast. I hate that this happens, and when I'm feeling up I can't explain how I feel when I'm down. I've tried writing my feelings out when I feel bad but then when I'm up it just washes me away. If i try to give them to someone to explain it i just break down and nothing makes sense. I have no idea how to ask for help and how to stay consistent with management strategies. No one in my close circle can give me advice, my parents don't believe anything I say and I find it too hard to talk to the school counsellor. Does anyone have any clue how to help?

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Dear emau

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums emau, we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post and will be reaching out to you privately to offer you some additional support this evening, so if you are able, please check your inbox.

It sounds like a pretty scary place to be when those thoughts are unpredictable in that way and swinging from one extreme to another.  We can also hear how difficult it is for you to reach out to those close to you, with the concern you just don’t feel heard by them. 

Emau what we can advise is for you to speak with a GP, if you are able to make that appointment with them?  Alternatively, there are several support services that may help, particularly in terms of understanding those thoughts and how you can keep yourself safe during those moments where you feel suicidal.  

If ever you feel like you are needing immediate support emau, please call 000, in addition, our lovely friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) and the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467) are always there for you whenever things are feeling like too much to cope with.  In the meantime emau, we would love for you to give one of our fully trained counsellors a call for some counselling support, we are here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via our WebChat. If you have not engaged with them before we would also recommend Kids helpline on 1800 55 1800 or at Kids Helpline for anyone 25 and under.

Thank you again for reaching out, we will leave you in the hands of our lovely community members who will be here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards 

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello emau, having these feelings are certainly not fake and realise when you are trying to talk to someone, whether they will believe what you're saying or dismiss it only because they're not interested and if this happens then we have to find aperson who understands exactly what you are saying, and don't worry because many of us have been through this ourselves.

Even my father who was a GP, thought I was pretending to be depressed until another brother spoke with him, then he was concerned.

When you are able to you need to write down in point form what is troubling you, this is so important and it doesn't matter one bit if you feel better and want to dismiss this document, because you can't compare these two different feelings, each one has their own place, especially when you aren't feeling the best, and never throw this document away, only when you have been able to overcome this problem.

Sometimes don't want to believe what you say, because they don't want to believe that one of their kids is suffering from a MI, as they take this as a reflection of their upbringing.

Remember there is so much hidden within your thoughts that at the moment only you know about.

Sophie has given you the link to Kids Helpline so please use this for extra help, but can you please keep incontact with us.

It doesn't matter whether you start crying, because if you have this document then that's exactly how you are feeling.

Good luck.

Geoff.

Life Member.