FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

It won't go away

Guest_9071
Community Member

I can only compare the urge to that being like a deep itch. It's only until you scratch it, it perhaps goes away....but then again this is more like a nerve itch that WONT go away. I've got the grim reaper on my back and a burst cloud over my head. Feeling the worst and so hopeless. I cannot tell you the pain I feel.

2 Replies 2

indigo22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Anonn_A,

I am sorry to hear how you are feeling at the moment, I have been where you are now and it is the most painful experience because there seems to be no end in sight. Are you able to talk about what is happening in your life at the moment and causing you to feel there is no hope? I would like to try to help you but need a bit more information to work with. Please come back to this conversation if you feel you can, there is no judgement here and you are not alone even though I know that is how you feel right now. If you cannot talk here, please reach out to the Beyond Blue help line to get some assistance so you can remain safe.

Sending you courage,

indigo22

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Anonn_A

It's a truly horrible torturous brutal feeling, pain so deep and overwhelming it can lead us to tears. There is nothing like it, the way in which it feels like it reaches into our very soul. My heart goes out to you as you experience such incredibly deep pain.

I wonder whether you have anyone in your life who can relate to that pain while perhaps helping you make better sense of it, why it's there or how it's come to be. I find often it makes a significant difference when I have someone who can lead me to see the reasons when I just can't see them for myself. When they lead me to see more clearly and gain a better sense of how I'm feeling, I'm inclined to say 'No wonder I feel the way I do. It makes complete sense'. Sometimes I need a leader, a guide.

In relation to gaining a better sense of how I'm feeling, I've found the challenge is to go deeper. While imagining sadness is simply what we're feeling, going deeper means being able to feel or sense the reasons for that sadness. For example, if we thrive on inspiration or certain revelations that provide a sense of growth, 'no inspiration' has a feel to it. If we thrive on being led to adventure (adding ventures to life) and no one is showing us how to add constructive energising ventures to the repetitive ones we face, which can feel like a depressing groundhog day- like existence, that is something that can be felt too. Then when people say stuff like 'You have a good life, you should be grateful for what you have', we can feel the depressing dismissiveness in that comment. While we may have a life we are grateful for to some degree, such recognition and gratitude won't always make up for what's missing. So, while sadness appears to be what we're sensing, there can be so more at a deeper level that equates to that overwhelming sense of sadness. Sometimes there is just so much to make sense of, including a lot of the stuff that's not always obvious at first.

Do you have someone in your life who can help you make sense of things, in regard to what you're facing? They won't be someone who says stuff like 'You'll be right' or 'You just need to smile more often' (grrr, I hate that one) or 'You just need to stop overthinking' or 'You're being way too sensitive (grrr again). They may be someone who says 'It's horrible isn't it, it's brutal to feel in such a torturous way' or 'Let's work out these feelings together. Let's make sense of them together'.