FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

i struggle everyday

charlotteAshley
Community Member
I hate my life, and I want to die.” I thought “What teenage girl hasn’t had a fight with her friends? My mum thought. The next morning, I didn’t want to go to school, butmy mum made her go. At 10 a.m., my mum received a call from the school’s guidance counselor, who said I wasn’t doing well, and that she needed to get there right away. When she arrived, they spoke about how the idea of suicide had dominated me thoughts for three months. My mum and I went directly to the ER. That’s when she realized my issue was more than teenage angst it was a true mental health crisis.
My mum felt scared and helpless. She wasn’t sure where to turn for additional care and treatment. Who should she call? A psychiatrist? Her pediatrician? A family therapist? Beth was lost. I was instantly thrust into the unfamiliar world of caring for a child experiencing a mental health crisis.
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi charlotteAshley, 

We are really sorry to hear that you are in a difficult place right now. It sounds like you might be having some difficult thoughts about suicide and feeling unsure about how your family and school can support you. It can be really difficult to know where to turn to for help but we think you've done an amazing job by coming to the forums. Goin to the ER and seeing a psychologist are wonderful steps to take. 

We also want to say how brave we think you are for sharing your story with us. Thank you for your amazing courage. 

We want to make sure that you are still getting the support you need. We really reccommend giving KidsHelpline (1800 55 1800) a call. They are wonderful and understanding and can help you work out how you are feeling and what you can do to get some more help. 
You can always call us (133 22 4636) as well to talk to one of the incredible team, they are great when you are having these thoughts or feeling really low. 

Please keep talking to your school and your family about how you are feeling. It sounds like you were able to open up to the school counsellor which is awesome - well don again for being so brave. 

Thanks for joining our community here on the forums, please feel free to come back and let us know how you are going if you feel comfortable. 

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi charlotteAshley

Firstly welcome, to a really safe space where you can talk about how you are feeling and what is going on for you.

Secondly I want you to know how brave you are for reaching out to us to chat and to let us support you through this time.

I know this sounds kind of strange but there are so many positives to your post and I wanted to point them out to you. The first part being that you are communicating with your mum and letting her know when things are tough at school, having a fight with your friends is a big deal and it impacts not only our feelings of being accepted but also our time at school. The next part is that you went to the school counselor, and spoke honestly about how you are feeling and what is going on for you, you shared some very personal information that is hard to talk about sometimes, that is wonderful and I am so proud of you.

The next part is that your mum went straight into action mode and did a wonderful thing and took you to get some support, she heard what you needed and responded accordingly, this is a huge start to the journey of getting better and that is having support, both professional and from family or friends.

I can only imagine how terrified that your mum felt, I have two teenage children as well, but can I tell you that the feeling of relief, the feeling of hope will be greater. See you have done the most important thing and that is reach out, here, to your school counsellor and to your mum, this is such a great start.

There is support for your mum too and she can find help here, also with her/your GP and also at places like eheadspace and Kids Helpline. They both have web based support options if talking on the phone is hard.

I hope to chat to you some more, to share you journey and know that you are cared for here, and at home too. Having feelings that you want to die I am sure is terrifying so I would like to encourage that if you feel that you are in danger that you do call 000. Please have a ambulance come to help you.

Huge hugs to you charlotteAshley and hope to chat some more to you.

Sarah xx