FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm so tired

Nahmate830
Community Member

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever rung one of the help lines and felt like it has really helped?

I am struggling but don't want a bad experience to make me feel worse, or to upset anyone who is just trying to help.

I also don't want to be on a database, to have any follow up calls or to have authorities alerted to me, I am safe, I am not going to hurt myself ,and I am not going to hurt anyone else.

thanks

NM

8 Replies 8

S_D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Nahmate830,

Great question. I have had one experience with a help line for a specific situation and found the person on the other end amazing. She was super empathetic and gave me some ideas about other services I could call to receive support for my concern. I, like yourself, didn't wish to have much info documented or be contacted by other parties and mentioned this to them at the beginning of the call. They were very understanding and assured me that the conversation was completely confidential and that rather then giving our my contact details to others they would instead text me the info I needed so I could contact them on a private number. Let them know about this and what you have mentioned in your post and i'm sure they'll be very accomodating. I do get that feeling of not wanting to feel even worse as a result of having a bad experience so thanks for reaching out and checking in. Hope thats helpful! Let us know how you go if you wish to.

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey NM

Sorry things are difficult for you right now. I guess it depends what you're looking for from the service? A listening ear, some direction to where to get help? You'll get those. I've had some calls which were helpful, and others not so much, but also not bad, just not the human connection I needed at the time, I think. Does that answer your question?

Glad to hear you're safe. You're always welcome to chat here if it helps.

Katy

Guest_4643
Community Member

hey Nahmate830, welcome.

i don't think you would be on their system. by law they only call emergency services if they have to, if you're a threat to yourself or someone else (i know you're not, i'm just letting you know). but they wouldn't be able to find your address unless you tell them, i believe. which you don't have to of course.

helplines can vary, it depends on the person you're talking to, the time, wait times, etc etc. i personally find Lifeline to be the best, on their webchat. the wait times aren't long no matter what time (it's 7pm-midnight, but the text and phone call is all day i believe), and they're polite. i haven't had many good experiences with other ones but that's just me.

i hope things are ok for you and you can stay safe. i'm here if you need anyone. i hope i answered your question. i've never actually called one myself and i've never been to hospital or called 000 for my mental health, nor have i ever given them my address or phone number.

Hi all great responses.

Hi mb - such a helpful response too and similar experience i found generally lifeline the most consistent. I know u find it hard to see good in u, but one thing u have is helping on here with really clear and informative msg to help ppl new to all this. Kudos for that 🙂

hi golden.

thank you for the kind words, that means a lot. i'm glad you find Lifeline helpful too. i do try to be helpful to people, new or users that have been on here for a while, but i always worry about saying the wrong things, plus my concentration isn't the best. you have good informative messages too.

Thanks mb 🙂

Hey everyone,

thanks so much for the helpful insights.

I think I will give them a try, I just worry that because I have so much anger over my circumstances and so much self hatred and loathing that they will see me as a potential threat to myself and society as a whole, and be duty compelled to act.

I really really appreciate the responses, you are all far kinder than I deserve.

take care

NM

S_D
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey NM,

Thanks for your reply. Just following up to see how it went? Hope you had a good first experience with the phone lines!