FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I didn’t feel safe today..

Britishinaus
Community Member
It’s been a while since I last posted. I’ve had a really bad day today (depression) and I was seriously considering ending it today. But I didn’t. I chose to go for a walk with my partner instead of waiting for him to go so I could do it. My partner is a psychiatric nurse and is extremely experienced with anything mental health. I told him this evening that I didn’t feel safe today.. was that the right thing to do? I regret telling him and I sort of regret not doing it in the first place. Im so sick of being in pain. Im so sick of being depressed but I know I deserve it.
5 Replies 5

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Britishinaus,

How do u feel having told him?

I think speaking about feeling safe is hard and for me is often scary and shaky territory

I often feel I've said too little or too much

I just want to let u know Ur welcome to write here and ppl can try listen,..it is brave, i think, to carry on another day, minute or hour carrying heavy feelings

Brave to name the pain here.

I think Ur doing an amazing job, and think the wanting to tell Ur partner comes from a place of strength and resourcefulness inside u.

Sciencegirl
Community Member
Hi Britishinaus

I'm proud of you for reaching out on here and also to your husband! I'm also so incredibly proud of you for going for a walk today.

I too understand feeling regret after telling someone but from an outsider and fellow warrior, I do not think that it was the wrong thing to do. In fact, I believe it is the right thing to do. Plus, it is very brave.

Also, I don't know you but I do not believe you deserve to be depressed. It really sucks to deal with, but you do not deserve it and this isn't your fault.

I wish that there was something that we could do to make the feelings abit easier (maybe I should pursue that for my studies haha) but I just want you to know I'm thinking of you and I'm sending my love

Baljit
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Britishinaus,

As a person with lived experience of suicidal thoughts, I think what you did today was very courageous and the right thing. The fact that you was able to discuss your feelings with your partner, demonstrates that you are in a safe and comfortable environment.

I also found a sense of relief and peace when I shared my feelings with my wife during my darkest days and then a sudden feeling of regret and hopelessness.

On reflection now that I am in such a safer place, those chats with my wife played a part in my recovery and I wish it will be the same for.

Stay safe and blessed, and don’t forget on both your good and bad days you can share your thoughts and feelings in this forum.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Britishinaus~

I've read some of your posts from last year and had hoped things might have improved for you. All you felt then I have felt too, and as a result tried to take my life.

The trouble with depression is it generated thoughts I thought were my very own, but in fact they were not. They filled my mind until all I could see see was self-blame, hopelessness and feeling others would be better off without me.

You have been trying professional help, meds and maybe therapy, and that's excellent. You might even see the fact they assisted for a while is a hopeful sign that the exact correct regimen - as I have now - actually works and simply becomes part of life.

One way to increase your options when you feel overwhelmed is to be wiht another. Yes I'm aware you do not wish to burden your partner or others but this may open up that channel acceptably.

Sophie_M suggested you try a safety plan

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/beyondnow-suicide-safety-planning

Which is an excellent idea. I'll explain why specifically in your circumstances.

If you looked at it last year you might not have thogh much of it. You would know it is a free smartphone app, and you fill it in on a good day well in advance. True, it has all the things you would expect such as crisis lines numbers but it has a lot more as well.

When I first used it I found half the things I could not fill in, reasons for living, what I can do myself and so on.

What a difference when I asked my partner for help. She was able to remind me of all sorts of things that I had enjoyed, given me a list or distracted me. So not it's full of YouTube Clips of specific comedians, songs by specific singers and particular movies, individual books, cafes to go to, walks to take and tons more.

When I'm in deep distress my brain tends to lose the ability to think and make choices, so I need easy no-brainer specifics.

It allowed me to list people just to chat with about ordinary things, also other people to talk to about what you are feeling the need to do.

Took me a year to start to fill in the reasons for living section

The BIG spin-off for you is that you are decreasing your partner's own distress. If he knows he has had a big hand in your welfare right hte instant you need it most, and is therefore less powerless - that is a real blessing.

It also gives you permission to talk to people wihtout those doubts.

Doe this seem to make any sense? Please come back and say.

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sigh - I made a typo

It should read

"So NOW it's full of YouTube Clips of..."

I grade then from black to cheerful, so I can start out with someone who sings what I feel (so I'm not alone that way) then work up to more cheerful and amusing things as I keep on going.

-C