FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How much would I have to say for involuntary admission?

GhostOfAGhost
Community Member

So I'm not in a particularly great headspace right now, and I want to say what I'm thinking to my doctor, but I'm afraid of being admitted.

To Put it simply, I think about suicide daily, and seriously "research" it every couple of nights, harm fairly regularly, and tend to only get about 3-6 hours of sleep due to anxiety.

I've Never told anyone about this, and the fact that no matter how much they up my medicines, it does nothing for me. I'm terrified to tell my Dr though cos I have no clue what they would do...

5 Replies 5

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi GhostOfAGhost,

Well come to our forums and thank you for reaching out to us.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way.

I understand that it can feel very distressing knowing the thoughts that you are having and also the thought of disclosing them to your doctor fearing what will happen.

I really strongly encourage you to tell your gp about your thoughts because if you don't how will you recover from what you are experiencing?

I understand exactly where you are at because I once had horrible intrusive thoughts that terrified me, I kept them to myself for a little while but I knew I couldn't do this for much longer so I opened up to health professionals and told them everything I was experiencing... it wasn't easy but it was a leap of faith that I will be forever grateful that I took because I ended up getting the help I needed and i've now recovered..... it took time but I'm now at the end of the tunnel.

I don't know where Id be today without the help I received from health professionals.

Take the leap and in times you can be living your best life.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello GhostOfGhost, the thought of being admitted can be quite daunting, but if you are in danger of hurting yourself, it may be the best decision, although I'm not necessarily suggesting this at the moment, but your doctor needs to know how you are actually feeling for your own safety.

If your medication doesn't seem to be benefiting you, then ask your doctor if they believe changing it may help you, there's no harm in asking and because you feel this way, can you visit your doctor 2 or 3 times a week.

When people feel like this, it's completely understandable to feel as though you don't want to tell anyone, for fear of not being believed or perhaps decisions are made against what you want, but either way it's really important that at least your doctor is informed because if something serious does happen, then they can decide straight away on how to help you.

This could be frightening but most times we can't overcome this by ourselves, we need guidance and help and they can provide phone numbers and sites for you to investigate, people who have the experience to know what you're struggling with, and this can be done before being admitted into hospital, depending on your condition.

There is also the possibility that they have a contact who can specifically help you in these circumstances, so please can we urge you to at least have a chat with them.

My best.

Geoff.

Sophie_M
Dear GhostOfAGhost,

Firstly, welcome to the forums we are so glad that you found your way to this supportive and welcoming community. We hope that you find ideas, options and support from the shared experiences and knowledge of all our members.

As discussed by Petal22 and Geoff, we understand your reluctance in bringing up such sensitive subjects with your G.P. But we would highly recommend discussing your feelings of suicide and self-harm with your G.P, especially as they are occurring with such frequency. Your G.P is an excellent point of first contact to receive advice and assistance on accessing local services or provide referrals to other mental health professionals. If you would like to have that conversation anonymously before talking to the G.P, we have also provided the links for some counselling and other services below.

We would also like to encourage you to reach out, it can really help having someone to talk to when these negative thoughts arise, we recommend contacting the Beyond Blue counselling team. By engaging via phone or chat the counsellors can provide advice and support, please contact either via phone 1300 22 4636 or web chat: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support

Kid’s helpline is also a great service to contact for counselling or just to have a conversation about your concerns. They are available to anyone aged 25 or under, you can call them on 1800 55 1800 or at https://kidshelpline.com.au/ .

Alternatively we would also recommend the suicide call back service, they offer a range of contact methods that can be accessed via https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/phone-and-online-counselling/ or by giving them a call on 1300 659 467.

If at any point those thoughts of suicide become overwhelming, or you no longer feel safe we urge you to contact emergency services on 000.

We hope that you find the support and direction that you are seeking on the forums. Once again, we are so glad you have joined the forums and we hope that you feel welcomed into the community.  

Warm regards
Sophie M

Chris_Tas
Community Member

Hey mate.

It's ZERO cost in Tasmania but not sure of other States.

You don't need to be involuntary.

Present yourself to hospital as voluntary requiring urgent admission for your safety.

They won't "do anything" to you, it's not like that unless you are a sanger to others.

That's when yes you will be made involuntary but don't think of that now.

Get yourself to hospital, you'll be amazed by how great people are that you meet, both staff and patients, it's not scary at all.

Just go to hospital or call an ambulance immediately imho.

Be honest and stay until you get the care you need. Don't take no for an answer but don't get angry if you have to wait a bit.

Good luck with it and remember you are a doing a string thing by choosing help.

Chris

Chris_Tas
Community Member

With respect to your GP and GPs in general, your issues are way above their level.

Get treatment and get better (it took me 4 voluntary admissions, 13 hospital presentations, in less than a year).

Please seek the help you need.

Don't be scared at all (I was too trust me)

It's brave to seek help. Fighting it alone is near impossible.

Chris